Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Scheduled refresh making multiple calls

We have a data set that uses a web URL to call and get a data set that is returned as a CSV file.  It is a webservice we control so we can see the calls coming in.   When we do an ondemand refresh within PBI online, it takes between 2 to 10 seconds to complete.  When we do a scheduled refresh it shows as taking between 10 to 20 minutes to complete.  What is really concerning to us is that when we look at our logging in the service, we see multiple calls taking place to achieve the scheduled refresh.  Why would a scheduled refresh take so much longer to complete than an ondemand refresh and what would cause it to make multiple calls like this?  

Here is a screenshot from Power BI online showing the scheduled refresh taking 18 minutes.... followed by a screenshot from our logs showing 5 different calls being made for the one scheduled refresh. This means our systems are taking the overhead of returning the data set 5x in this case. When we scale this up across a large set of customers that is going to be expensive.  

large (1).pnglarge.png

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@jamesoleonard

Is there only one call when you manually refresh it?

Could you please help start to collect the fiddler traces just before hitting the scheduled time (keep the fiddler running and you need to do nothing until the schedule refresh succeeds)? Please make sure that you've enabled following option in fiddler and only open one browser page/tab for PBI Service during the collection.

Please also provide the report GUID which can be found in the report URL.

Fiddler.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

jamesoleonard
Frequent Visitor

We only get one call to our service when doing a manual refresh of the data set and it completes almost instantly.  One other piece of data.  We switched the refresh times to start at the bottom of the hour instead of the top and the number of extra calls went way down.  There are still an occasional double call even at the bottom of the hour but that tells me it is probably a congestion thing.  We will switch it back to the top of the hour and try to capture the trace.

jamesoleonard
Frequent Visitor

I finally got back to looking at this.  

The dataset GUID I am testing the refresh with is ed3017e6-6084-4770-813b-a0917900a0fb.

The general pattern we are seeing at this point is that every scheduled refresh is making two calls and every on demand refresh is making one call.  There are exceptions to that, however.

I setup fiddler and left it on during a scheduled refresh.  What information do you want me to provide to you?

By the way, when I try to do an ondemand refresh with fiddler tracing on, it fails every time.  As soon as I turn fiddler tracing off, it works, so I may also not have it setup properly.  Please advise.