Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SSAS with live connection to Power BI - Dates issue

Hello,

We are working with our client on a Power BI project and we are facing a one issue with the Power BI currently.

The developer of the cube has created a data cube for us to use in the Power BI and we have connected to that with live data.

Now when report and all has been done, we would like to have feasible report \ dashboard in use for the future, without user always updating manually the weeks\dates in use on the visual. But this can't be achieved 'cause we are using string dates.

Well at least that was the case until the cube developer told that the dates are actually in date forman in the ssas cube already.

For some reason power bi handles those dates as a string.

We need to have a dynamic date filtering that did come available with the July 2017 power bi update with a date field in place soon. But for reason Power BI handles the date as a string....?

The developer is now going to try something like this fix, to see if we can figure this out:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44568670/powerbi-doesnt-honour-an-ssas-olap-cube-date-field

Cheers,

Niko

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@nisuomi

I cannot repro the same issue on my side, please refer to the screenshot below and let me know if there is any settings in my tabular is different with you.

SSAS with live connection to Power BI - Dates issue_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

nisuomi
Resolver I

Hello @v-haibl-msft!

We have the same settings that you have, but the only difference is that we are using multidimensional data cube instead of a tabular one. I do not know if this is the reason or the issue, why the same settings that you have showed here on the tabular model, does not apply with the multidimensional model.

I heard that from our data cube developer, that the cube is multidimensional and not tabular. We tested with same settings that you provided and I tried the date field out on the Power BI end - but no needed results. Dates were still showed as strings, not dates.

Do you have any ideas, is this even possible with the multidimensional cube? Or is this something that can be only achieved with tabular model?

Addition from the cube developer:

"

So the attribute is date and the format is short day and sort order is by key

I mean the day attribute in the cube

"

Cheers,

Niko