Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Report data not auto refreshing analysis services connection

When some (not all) users access a report connected to an on-prem analysis services model, the visualizations are not refreshing. Even clicking on another page does not refresh the data. The user has to click the Refresh button in Power BI to update the data.

Here are the detailed steps:

User accesses report in a group workspace on PowerBI online/web version.

When user opens report, it is reporting the 2016 data.

User has to refresh each page to get current 2017 data.

When user closes PowerBI web and re-opens, the summary page is back to the 2016 data.

This has occurred over and over again.

Additional Details:

• The model utilizes RLS described in this article.
  • Live connection to SSAS model.
  • The report was published to a group workspace.
  • Users with the refresh issue have proper access levels because the data loads fine if they manually refresh. A manual refresh is not required by all users.
  • User with issue has member access but not allowed to edit.
  • This is a very large report. It has 25 pages and around 200 different visuals.
  • This report has caused other issues because whenever the model is updated, Power BI checks for this and updates the local cache for users that have the report. This causes a massive performance hit on our SSAS server because Power BI tries to update the cache for all users as quickly as possible (without a throttle) and brings our services to a crawl for an hour. My theory is the cache is not getting updated for some users; however, Power BI thinks the cache was updated; therefore, the report doesn't update when the user initially opens the report.

Thanks,

Derrick

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@derrickb

It seems that the issue can only be reproduced by part of the users, I suggest you to create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page).

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

TowingQueens

Blocked Driveway Towing Queens is a trusted name when it comes to providing towing services in Queens and Brooklyn. Blocked Driveway Towing Queens is problem solvers and solve problems such as road accidents, illegal parking, and blocked driveways by providing our various towing services and roadside assistance. We employ dedicated and highly skilled individuals, who are always alert to respond and reach out to people who are in distress. We value serving our fellow New Yorkers with the best of our skills and the best of our tools.

ajil
Frequent Visitor

This still exists for Live Connection SSAS/Azure AS.  Navigating fro Dashboard Tile to report shows cached or old data. 

joejetta
Frequent Visitor

I'm seeing this issue as well and my report is not big or complex.