Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Report Data Getting Overridden on Web

We have two different reports on the web service, one named "[RTM] Desktop" and another named "[Outgoing RTM] Desktop". Essentially, since a couple of weeks ago, the data of "[RTM] Desktop" was supposed to move over to "[Outgoing RTM] Desktop" automatically (changes made in the SQL Server view), and "[RTM] Desktop" was supposed to get new data.

However, the first report, "[RTM] Desktop", keeps getting overridden by data that's supposed to now be in "[Outgoing RTM] Desktop", whenever a scheduled refresh happens, almost like it's being reverted back to its old state (except the data is up to date so it's not that the data was cached from a couple iterations before). The "[Outgoing RTM] Desktop" report has the correct data, so we have two reports with the same dataset.

We've tried the following things to try to figure out what's going on:

1. We checked if the backend SQL Server views are providing the correct data for both reports => Yes
  2. We downloaded both reports locally and refreshed manually => data goes back to the correct state
  3. We deleted both datasets and reuploaded them on multiple occassions

We really don't know why our "[RTM] Desktop" data keeps getting overridden everytime there is a scheduled refresh (once per day). It's quite cumbersome to have to refresh the data locally on PowerBI Desktop and reupload every single day, just to have the right set of data on the web dashboards.

Any thoughts?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @keikumata,

Do these two reports retrieve data from the same SQL view? 

Would you please share more information about "However, the first report, "[RTM] Desktop", keeps getting overridden by data that's supposed to now be in "[Outgoing RTM] Desktop", whenever a scheduled refresh happens, almost like it's being reverted back to its old state (except the data is up to date so it's not that the data was cached from a couple iterations before)."?

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

keikumata

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

The reports have two separate SQL views. Both views take data from the same tables, but the only difference between the views is that it gets filtered down differently, with no overlaps.

We conducted a bunch of tests, and we are unclear whether the two reports, "[RTM] Desktop" and "[Outgoing RTM] Desktop", are actually interacting and overriding each other.

Here is a diagram of the datasets.

PowerBI_issue.png

"[RTM] Desktop" is supposed to take on dataset B before 5/1, and dataset A after 5/1 (automatic change on our SQL view backend). There are two separate views for each of the reports, as I said. 

Is it possible that something gets cached on PowerBI web? Basically, I expect "[RTM] Desktop" to have dataset A, but sometimes after a daily scheduled refresh, I see dataset B. However, when I download it locally and refresh manually, it reverts back to dataset A (as it should).

Let me know what you think!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @keikumata,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side. I would suggest you create a support ticket to Microsoft to get dedicated support. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered