Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Refreshing xlsx not working in service

I have a published report, created on the desktop, that imports data from an xlsx file stored on SharePoint.  It was refreshing without issue through 2/13/2016 8:59:41 AM.  Since then, every refresh fails and I get a corresponding failure email:

Excel Workbook: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine OLEDB provider is required to connect to read this type of file.

Technical Information:

Activity Id: 0596f4c9-38c2-4e62-b7ee-91554fe2b6c4

Request Id: 53525323-c340-4663-ade7-98f9b2c44b65

Cluster Name: WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Refresh Start Time: 02/16/2017 14:29:07Z

Refresh End Time: 02/16/2017 14:30:26Z

Please note that this was created on the desktop, and not using Get Data on the service, so OneDrive refresh is not active -- it is on a Scheduled refresh cycle.

Also note that this is not an xls file, but an xlsx file.

Could you please install the Access/Excel OLEDB drivers on that cluster?

Thank you!

Comments
djnww
Impactful Individual

I am no expert on this.  But when I have run into this issue with either MsAccess or excel, I have to reinstall Office or Msaccess to the 64 bit version.  However,  if you're using 32 bit PowerBI,  then you will need the equivalent 32 bit installation of MsOffice. 

mtaubman
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, djnww, but the error is on the PBI Service, not on my desktop.  Just so you know, you don't need to reinstall Office to work around this issue, just install the driver linked to in the error.  In this case, I need Microsoft to install the driver on their machines. 🙂

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mtaubman,

In your scenario, did the Excel file stored in SharePoint open a connection to access the Access database? After you published the report to service, did you configured any gateway used by the dataset of this report? Did you install the 32 bit Access Database Engine from this site?  

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

mtaubman
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyun,

There is no Access database in this scenario.  The error message mentions Access because it's the same driver used to import both Excel and Access files.  In this case, there is only an xlsx file with cell data.

There is no gateway used, since the file is stored on SharePoint.  In Settings, under Gateway connection, the option selected is "Connect directly".  The option for "Use a data gateway" is disabled.

The error is produced by the Power BI service, not by my local machine.  Naturally, I cannot install the driver, since it's running on Microsoft's machines, not my own.  I do have the driver installed on my local machine, but that makes no difference here.

Could you look into this?

Regards,

Mike

mtaubman
Frequent Visitor

@Vicky_SongI have provided all necessary info.  What can I do to move this to a different status, please?

Thank you,

Mike

mtaubman
Frequent Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msftIs there an update on this issue, please?  I am still experiencing scheduled refresh failures.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mtaubman,

For this issue, I would suggest you create a support ticket at the bottom of this site ( https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ ) to get dedicated support.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered