Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

R font size too small on PowerBI Service.

When I publish a report with a R chart on PB service the fonts became too small. Both in R Studio and PB Desktop seems OK.

The problem ins't with the script since i've tested with plot(dataset) only, also changing the font size on script doesn't affect PB Service.

Comments
cdamour

I agree with rviana.  Existing pre-published reports on the service are also affected (axis text significantly shrunk and are unreadable).

frankjf
Regular Visitor

I am seeing the same behavior across two service tenants. Even previously published reports that haven't been touched in months, which displayed R script visuals with normal font size in the past, now have small, unreadable fonts. In many cases, Power BI Service pulls up the (presumably cached) normal-looking visual first and then repopulates the visual with one that has the tiny text size.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I have reported the same issue internally: CRI 75525272. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

benalexkeen
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue.

For an easy way to reproduce this issue, you can use the following simple R code (and any dummy values in the "Values" data field as the mpg data frame comes with R):

library(ggplot2)

p <- ggplot(mpg, aes(class))
p <- p + geom_bar(fill="blue")
p <- p + theme_classic()
p <- p + theme(
axis.text.x = element_text(size = 14, angle=45, hjust = 1),
axis.text.y = element_text(size = 14),
)
print(p)

Viewing locally all custom R visuals and R visuals packaged as pbiviz files  are fine, but when viewing online I have the same issue as above no matter what the text size in the code above is set to.

Power BI Desktop ScreenshotPower BI Desktop ScreenshotPower BI Online ScreenshotPower BI Online Screenshot

AScott91
Regular Visitor

I am having the same issues as well. All text and x / y axis information is substantially shrunk in my online power bi reports. Everything looks normal when using power bi desktop.

danpantarotto
Regular Visitor

I'm having the exact same problem - all my custom R visuals that used to appear fine now have a tiny text size on the labels, or they dont appear at all, and the y axis title disappears completely

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
I'm experiencing the same problem.

I paste below an example code: the color customization works well, while the text customization clearly has problems.

library(grid)
library(gridExtra)

d <- head(iris, 3)
g <- tableGrob(d)

find_cell <- function(table, row, col, name="core-fg"){
l <- table$layout
which(l$t==row & l$l==col & l$name==name)
}
for(i in 2:4){
for(j in 2:6){
index_fg <- find_cell(g, i, j, "core-fg")
g$grobs[index_fg][[1]][["gp"]] <- gpar(cex = 4, col = "green")
}
}

grid.newpage()
grid.draw(g)

Anonymous
Not applicable

An answer and a temporary fix has been adressed here