Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Publishing a PBIX from PBI desktop to an SSRS instance using Custom Auth provider doesn't work

We have an SSRS implementation where we use a custom auth provider rather than standard AD accounts.   SSRS and reportbuilder work as expected for SSRS reports.  The problem we are seeing is that you aren't able to Save to ReportServer from PBI desktop.   It seems that it expects an account - there is no way for you to set credentials on PBI desktop when publishing other than the AD account you ran PBI desktop as.   In testing we switched out the auth provider to standard SSRS out of the box AD provider we are able to save the PBIX to the server.   I can then run the report with no problems.  When I switch it back to custom Auth, the saved PBIX will not render as well.   I brought this up as a question in the PBI Premium webinar today and was told this should be a supported scenario and to post a issue here.   Could you please look into this and let me know if this will be resolved for GA release?  I assume this requires fixes on PBI desktop as well as PBI report server part as there is no way for me to provide an auth token or even basic auth when publishing to the SSRS server as I do with Report Builder for example.

thank you,

Luis

Comments
luisrh
Responsive Resident

I have a question regarding the PBI in SSRS tech preview. We have a custom authentication provider rather than the standard AD provider that SSRS 2016 ships with. All works as expected in SSRS except that AD accounts are not used to log in. Report builder allows you to provide a dialog than then authenticates with the provider in SSRS. When saving a PBIX file to SSRS from PBI desktop, you are not prompted for credentials and I assume that it just takes some token based on the identity of the user running PBI desktop. Basically, you are not able to save to SSRS. This is something that should be fixed, and I assume the issue is on both the SSRS server side and also on the PBI client. The reason I say this is because when I change the auth provider to standard out of the box for SSRS 2016 (AD) the file saves, but when I set SSRS back to custom auth I am not able to run the PBI report in SSRS site.  This is a showstopper for us since we have to use a custom auth provider in SSRS.  I was told during the PBI Premium webinar this is supposed to be supported, any input as whether this is yet fixed?

thank you

luisrh
Responsive Resident

Does anyone have any feedback on this?

luisrh
Responsive Resident

have a question regarding the PBI in SSRS tech preview. We have a custom authentication provider rather than the standard AD provider that SSRS 2016 ships with. All works as expected in SSRS except that AD accounts are not used to log in. Report builder allows you to provide a dialog than then authenticates with the provider in SSRS. When saving a PBIX file to SSRS from PBI desktop, you are not prompted for credentials and I assume that it just takes some token based on the identity of the user running PBI desktop. Basically, you are not able to save to SSRS. This is something that should be fixed, and I assume the issue is on both the SSRS server side and also on the PBI client. The reason I say this is because when I change the auth provider to standard out of the box for SSRS 2016 (AD) the file saves, but when I set SSRS back to custom auth I am not able to run the PBI report in SSRS site.  This is a showstopper for us since we have to use a custom auth provider in SSRS.  I was told during the PBI Premium webinar this is supposed to be supported, any input as whether this is yet fixed?

thank you

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@luisrh

I've sent mail to related team to look into this problem.

I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@luisrh

Could you please start to collect the fiddler traces before you save the report from PBI Desktop to SSRS? Please make sure that you've enabled the following option. Then share the .saz file to me, so that we can look into it.

fiddler option.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@luisrh

I've got response from the related team.

Currently only windows integrated authentication is supported in the Technical preview for PBI Desktop reports. Custom auth will be supported in future release, but don’t have an ETA that can share yet.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

luisrh
Responsive Resident

@v-haibl-msft

OK..   Understood.  Do we know whether GA will have this fixed?  If not then this very important use case will not be supported  -   Please note that in my opinion,  changes need to be made on the PBI desktop side since it needs to be able to pass identity to the auth provider endpoint in SSRS - once it does that then the provider can manage authorization as well and anything related to the report would be managed as SSRS usually deals with reports in SSRS..    Please see below for test - the fiddler logs are shared with you...

1. Save As from PBI desktop (report server) to SQL 2017 report server with custom auth:

We checked fiddler and found that RS API call (http://sgevmsql12/reports/api/v2.0/ServiceState HTTP/1.1) is redirected to our custom login page. As a result we see above message in save dialog.

http://sgevmsql12/ReportServerPBI/Pages/logon.aspx?ReturnUrl=/ReportServerPBI/localredirect?url=/reports/api/v2.0/ServiceState

2) PBIX upload to report server works fine but execution of PBIX report shows following error in fiddler:

"Message":"An error has occurred.","ExceptionMessage":"File contains corrupted data.","ExceptionType":"System.IO.FileFormatException","StackTrace":" at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.FindPosition(Stream archiveStream)

We tried tracing the user on SSAS server but it never connects to server. Current user context should be causing this issue.

pbi2.jpg