Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Publishing Live Connected datasets sometimes cause Power BI Desktop to wait forever

Using the Version: 2.59.5135.421 64-bit (June 2018)

I have several projects using live connections, some are Power BI Service data sources and some are Azure Analysis Service data sources.

When selecting publish, to premium workspaces in my cases, the publish action completes on the service but the Power BI desktop never receives the success notification.  Power BI sits endlessly on the publishing window with the moving loop.  Selecting cancel causes this to change to the cancelation window endlessly.

Workaround appears to be to close Power BI via the taskmanager after confirming the changes have successfully published to the service.

Problem seems to occur more often than not.  Once the problem occurs once for a report, it seems to continue each subsequent time.

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous,

Do you get same issue when publishing PBIX file to non-premium workspace? Could you please update the Power BI Desktop to latest version of Power BI Desktop( 2.59.5135.601 ) and check if the issue still occurs?

I have no issues when publishing live connected datasets to Premium workspaces in the latest  version of Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrading to Power BI Desktop( 2.59.5135.601 ) has had no effect

Downgrading the workspace from premium has had no effect.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous,

Could you please share Power BI Desktop trace log and fiddler trace log here? 

In addition, please try to use previous version of Power BI Desktop(April release) to publish the PBIX and check if you get sample issue.

Regards,
Lydia

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had the problem again today, so I thought "Great. Lets close and try again but this time capture a fiddle log". So I closed down Outlook and Skype to try minimise the noise in the log entry. Closing those programs, then trying the publish caused the issue to cease. I opened up Outlook and Skype and tried again, and again the publish was successful. I'll now leave those programs running for a while and go about my usual business. I will try another publish later on today or tomorrow. Hopefully this will flesh out if those programs are related to the cause, or if it was a coincidence.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've continued to run fiddler logs whilst i attempt to publish changes.  So far i've not been able to reproduce the issue again.  I am unsure if Microsoft has corrected the problem on the Power BI Service.