Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Publish failing in Direct Query - Internal Server Error - Impala

Hi,

I m not sure why publish from Power BI Desktop is failing in Direct query mode while the same succeeds in Import mode. There is a simple bar graph with 1 table in the PBIX.

The error snapshot is attached for reference.

Please help me with the resolution and let me know if there are any specific ports to be opened ...etc.

Error in Direct Query - Impala BaldoraError in Direct Query - Impala Baldora

Thanks in advance.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

Have you tried to publish your PBIX file through Get Data - Files - Local File - Select your PBIX file in Power BI Service?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. The report has only 1 table ... and I have selected 2 fields to display the graph.

Default summarization (SUM) is being applied for one field. No measures/ Calculated columns have been created yet.

Do I still need to configure on-premises gateway for Direct Query/ Live connection to work?

The error snapshot is provided below:

culdn't load visual.png

Another time, I tried uploading the pbix got the error below:

Unable to load report
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity ID07a9cb27-c6dd-0a69-8d78-6d6dca2dfb86
Request ID74096ac8-2740-797e-cc6a-19fa7d033fee
Correlation ID1ddb8d6b-96e2-e4cc-8f88-196003233140
TimeWed Apr 19 2017 10:14:25 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
Version13.0.1700.1783

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

According to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-connect-impala/, 

there are a few limits and considerations to keep in mind in this preview version of the Impala connector:

Future plans include enabling refresh support using the Power BI Gateway.

It seems that refresh through gateway is not supported yet.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Herbert @v-haibl-msft for the quick response. The article you specified was published in Aug 2016. However, I found an more recent article (published on March 1, 2017) which states that Power BI does support Direct Query for Impala. Moreover, Direct query option appears only with the built-in Impala connector in PBI Desktop. With ODBC connector, I can only use import mode.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-connect-impala/

In the Impala window that appears, type or paste the name of your Impala server into the box, and select OK. Note that you can choose to Import data directly into Power BI, or you can useDirectQuery. You can learn more about using DirectQuery.

The url https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-directquery/ also lists Impala under the list of supported Data Sources.

Thanks,

Mannu

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

Yes, you're correct. I also found the recent document just after I post the message yesterday. So I delete the original post and provide the new URL immediately. In the new document, there is a limit listed: Future plans include enabling refresh support using the Power BI Gateway.

For the issue about publish failure while using Direct Query, please create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page).
If issue is resolved, you can share the solution here later to help others who have the same problem.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

Anonymous
Not applicable

The publish failed as gateway did not support Direct Query/ data refresh.

After June 2017 update (for both PBI Desktop and on-premises gateway), I m now able to work on Direct Query and publish reports,

Thanks,

Mannu