Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Provided dashboard access to client, client says can't see dashboard. What gives?

ok, really confused about this one.

I added the client's email last week and they were able to view the dashboard. This week, they are unable to. I checked the 'Share' settings and the client's email is set to 'can view'. However, the dashboard is not listed under the left side navigation.

I tried removing the client's email and adding them back. No luck.

Anyone else facing this issue?

Thanks.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@adilk

Did you share the dashboard with colleagues or people outside your organization? I cannot repro the same issue on my side.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

adilk
Helper I

@v-haibl-msft Hi Herbert, I shared this dashboard with people outside the organization. Tweeted to Power BI and they suggested rebooting the PC and logging in again. Have asked client to try it and let me know.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@adilk

When you share with people outside your organization, they get an email with a link to the shared dashboard. They have to sign in to Power BI to see the dashboard.

After they sign in, they see the shared dashboard in its own browser window without the left navigation pane, not in their usual Power BI portal. They have to bookmark the link to access this dashboard in the future.

So only when you share dashboard with colleagues, they can see the shared dashboard in the left navigation pane.

Best Regards,

Herbert

adilk
Helper I

@v-haibl-msft ok, that makes sense. I have now asked the client to try accessing via bookmark. Will post back here. Just a note that the 'rebooting pc' tip provided by Power BI twitter was incorrect? 

adilk
Helper I

@v-haibl-msft Client jsut tried accessing the dashboard via bookmark and got the attached error.

The same dashboard was previously accessible to the client last week.

|I have rechecked the client email id under share settings and it is set to 'can view' dashboard.jpg

adilk
Helper I

@v-haibl-msft any luck with this error and why it would be happening?

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@adilk

Where is the dashboard, in My Workspace or Group? Is your client a free, pro trial or pro user?

If your dashboard is in a group, then it is a pro content and your client needs to be a pro user.

I think you can share a dashboard (placed in My Workspace) which does not include pro content and share it to your client. Please have a try to see if client can view the shared dashboard.

Best Regards,

Herbert

adilk
Helper I

Hi Herbert,

I had a look at the link you provided.

1. Our dashboard only uses .xlsx format data and as per the link, this should be available to free users as well.

2. The dashboard is currently in a group as the dashboard link begins with https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/dashboards/ ...

How can I move this to My Workspace and then check with client if they can view the dashboard?

The client was able to view it once but can't anymore.

We have an Office 365 licence. Would we be a pro Power BI user or normal? Our client doesn't have O365 and had to sign up for Power BI. 

--

Pasted from https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-power-bi-pro-content-what-is-it/

Conversely, if your content contains only the following items it will be consumable by both Power BI free and Pro users:

• A dashboard or report connected to content packs for services (e.g. Dynamics CRM, Salesforce, and Google Analytics).

• A dashboard or report with data imported from files such as Excel spreadsheets, Power BI Desktop, and CSV.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@adilk

If your content contains any of the following items, it's Power BI Pro content:
A dashboard, report, or dataset that's contained in a group workspace.

So even your dashboard only use .xlsx data, but it is in a group workspace, then it is pro content.

You cannot move the dashboard from a group to my workspace directly. There is an idea for this feature request. You need to republish to my workspace.

Since you can create groups, you should be either pro or pro trial user. You can check it in "Manage personal storage" page.

Best Regards,
Herbert