Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Service data source - Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later

Today in latest Desktop I tried to switch to a new data source from Power BI Service but it is failing.

I'm getting this message: Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.

Timestamp: 2017-11-09T10:43:24.4946361Z

Session ID: 73e95735-b4dd-4093-89dd-abf0d2245c37

Release: November 2017

Product Version: 2.52.4921.461 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

Error Message: Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.15063.0 (x64 pl-PL)

CLR Version: 4.7 or later [Release Number = 460798]

IE Version: 11.483.15063.0

User ID: 53e1cf81-d99c-4f6d-91d6-ac4f68bfd61a

Activity ID: null

Stack Trace:
System.InvalidOperationException: No session exists for database with ID:18975152-20a4-4cea-8098-5e56ce31abd2
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.PowerViewHandler.GetActiveSession(String databaseID)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ActiveReportingSessionConnectionPool.Get(IDataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo)
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Processing.QueryExecutionCommon.ConnectionWrapper.<>c__DisplayClass10_0.<<OpenConnection>b__0>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.DataShapingTelemetryService.<RunInAsyncActivity>d__10.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Processing.QueryExecutionCommon.ConnectionWrapper.<OpenConnection>d__10.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Processing.QueryExecutionCommon.QueryExecutor`1.<RunQueryAsync>d__6.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Processing.QueryExecution.QueryExecutionParallelStrategy.<RunQueriesAsync>d__1.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Processing.QueryExecution.QueryExecutionManager.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.<<RunQueriesAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.DataShapingTelemetryService.<RunInAsyncActivity>d__10.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Processing.QueryExecution.QueryExecutionManager.<RunQueriesAsync>d__16.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Processing.DataShapeProcessor.<ExecuteQueryAndWriteResult>d__2.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Processing.DataShapeProcessor.<ExecuteQueryAndWriteResult>d__2.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Processing.DataShapeProcessor.<ProcessImpl>d__1.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Engine.DataShapeProcessingHost.<InvokeProcessingAsync>d__4.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Engine.DataShapeEngine.<ExecuteSemanticQueryAsyncImpl>d__6.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.DataShaping.Common.TaskUtils.WaitAndUnwrap(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.SemanticQuery.ExecuteSemanticQueryFlow.ExecuteDataQueryWithDataShapeEngine(IQueryResultDataWriter queryResultDataWriter, EntityDataModel model, IConceptualSchema schema, DataQuery query, Int32 queryId, ServiceErrorStatusCode& serviceErrorStatusCode)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.SemanticQuery.ExecuteSemanticQueryFlow.ProcessAndWriteSemanticQueryCommands(IQueryResultsWriter queryResultsWriter, ExecuteSemanticQueryRequest request, IConceptualSchema conceptualSchema, EntityDataModel model)

Comments
v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @mda,

The possible cause is the new data source desn't have the columns that you have used in a visual. I can get the same error message. But I can't get the log like yours. I have checked the log folders. How can I reproduce this?

1. The data source is Power BI Service. What is the source of the dataset?

2. Which visuals did you use?

3. Is the new data source the same with the old one?

Best Regards!

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

mda
Advocate I
Advocate I
Hi @v-jiascu-msft, 1. The source of the dataset is Oracle database with import query and configured the gateway. 2. The error occurs in every visual which I used - slicers, Card, Donut chart, Line Chart, Stacked bar chart, Line and clustered column chart, table, WordCloud 3. No, for 4 visuals column names changed, but an error occurs for every visual. My colleague who didn't update Desktop to new version didn't get this error when switching to the new dataset. He got errors for only those visuals which was affected by column change, and the error message is "Fields that need to be fixed: Something's wrong with one or more fields:" Today I made this: switch to the new dataset and regarding the errors saved my report. After reopening it I got only errors for visuals for which columns changed. Thanks, Marcin
mda
Advocate I
Advocate I
I also try switching between the same dataset from different workspaces, and I'm also getting the same error. But after saving, and reopening it is working. Regards, Marcin
panosdi
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I'm getting the same error here. I am trying to change between two analysis databases in the same Analysis Server with the exact same cube structure and that is not happening. A colleague of me who had the previous version was able to change data source, when he upgraded to current, he failed too.Screenshot_1.png

mda
Advocate I
Advocate I
Hi @pandosi, please try my workaround - when you switch to the new database, just save report regardless of errors. Then close it and open again, and it should work. Regards, Marcin
panosdi
Frequent Visitor

@mda

thanks a lot, it's working this way, hope it will be fixed in the future.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here, thanks for the workaround, please fix it quickly.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi All,

It seems there is no issue in the version 2.52.4921.682 64-bit (November 2017), which is released in 11/17/2017. Please try it out here.

Best Regards!

Dale

mda
Advocate I
Advocate I
I can confirm that in version 2.52.4921.682 issue is fixed.