Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Service Random Gateway Connection Change

Hi,

I have some reports in Power BI Service that their source is Azure SQL Database. These reports have been refreshing from their source just fine.

We have gained a new customer and I have set up an on-premises data gateway for them. Gateway has been installed on their server. Because we are doing some testing, I have added the data source in my Power BI Service. Suddenly all of my existing reports' gateway source switched to a personal gateway I have installed and tested months ago. I do not have this gateway anymore, neither on my PC nor on Gateways section in Power BI. None of the existing reports used this old connection. 

Why do they randomly switch to something that does not even exist? This is extremely frustrating. How come an Azure SQL source can suddenly switch to a personal gateway that is not there? 

How do we solve issues like this one?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

1. As you mentioned you have installed the data gateway on customer's server, did you sign in the data gateway and created a new gateway?
2. Please go to Manage Gateways section to see if gateway created before still exists, whether they are online.
3. The dataset connects to Azure SQL database doesn't require any gateway. In your scenario, please check if those datasets which use personal gateway contains other data sources?
4. There is already a known issue about data gateway listed in support site, please upgrade data gateways to the latest version.

q6.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Vicky_Song,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Yes, I did login into the newly installed gateway. I am not having any problems with this new gateway.
  2. The old gateway is not there of course. As I mentioned in my original post, it has been removed from my PC and Power BI Service. I have removed old registry entries and installation files/folders.
  3. I do realise Azure SQL SThey are already set up with Azure SQL Server connection strings.
  4. The already known issue does not apply to me. I am not trying to install or re-install, sign-in, or take over Power BI Gateways.

All I want to know in the simplest terms is the following: Why did Azure SQL Server connection strings in reports I already have suddenly changed to a none-existing personal gateway when I installed/added a new, completely unrelated data gateway?