Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Mobile (iOS): Error when opening Excel workbook

I added a simple Excel workbook to my Workspace. I chose "Upload your Excel file to Power BI".

When I open the workbook in my PC browser, everything is fine: I can view the workbook and work with it via Excel Online.

Then I switch to the Power BI Mobile app and open the workbook by tapping on it in the "Reports" list. This time, my iPad tries to open the file by launching the (installed) Excel app. The first error coming from Excel is like "Excel can't open this workbook", followed by another "Microsoft Excel can't open file from ms-excel:ofv|u|<filename>.xlsx Check link address and try again."

This error occurs since the first day i tried it a year ago. I hoped it would be fixed over time but now our Power BI Go-live approaches quickly and I need to fix loose ends like this. Any hints? Am I missing something?

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Sokon

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 32910623
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Sokon
Advocate V
Thanks for the confirmation!
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Sokon

The product team wishes to introduce the following user experience (aligned with Android’s existing experience) – Power BI app won't launch excel native app unless the file is a OneDrive file that is actually viewable. Otherwise, we'll show an error message to the user.

ETA is mid April.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Sokon
Advocate V
Not quite what I was hoping for, but better than an error message! Thanks for the support!
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Sokon

ETA for the fix is end of June.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Sokon
Advocate V
Thanks for the confirmation!