Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop formula bar doesn't stay in expanded view

Expected Behavior:

1. The Power BI Desktop formula bar has an arrow at the very right to indicate whether the formula bar should be one-row (shrinked) or multi-row (expanded). 
  2. When a user clicks the arrow, the formula bar should remain expanded or shrinked for every measure/calc-column the user clicks and it shouldn't revert for the duration of the Power BI session.

Actual Behavior:

1. Under certain circumstances, the formula bar reverts to the shrinked view unintentionally.
  2. This is very frustrating because if you are switching between large measures, you have to continually click the arrow to expand the formula bar.

Steps to reproduce:

1. I'm working in the following release 2.57.5068.501 64-bit (April 2018), though the issue has been around since February, 2018 or so.
  2. Open a data model with some regular columns, some calculated columns and some long multi-line measures
  3. Go to Report view (click the button on the left of the window). Click on a measure with lots of DAX code and expand the formula bar.
  4. In the field list, now click on a regular column (i.e. NOT a measure or calc-column)
  5. Now click back on your large measure.
    1. Note that the formula bar is shrinked again
    2. Note that the arrow button points up indicating that Power BI thinks the formula bar is expanded even though it is not visually drawn that way.
Comments
Reid_Havens
MVP

I'm having the same problems!

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi All,

I have tested this issue with the version 2.54.4970.961 (January 2018). There didn't exist the feature keeping the expanded view. So keeping the expanded view could be a new feature. I would suggest you create an idea here. Please also refer to Issues/DAX-editor-opens-in-collapsed-mode-by-default-Should-be-expanded/idi-p

Best Regards,

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the reply and for referring me to the other bug ticket. 

I am still able to reproduce the issue in the April 2018 release. Please see my screen recording below and let me know if you have any other questions. 

https://www.screencast.com/t/o9aEXTWbjwXy (enable Flash to view the file)

Best, 

Narayana