Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Desktop Visual Coordinates

Hi,

I believe there is a minor bug with the X,Y co-ordinates of visuals in Power BI Desktop. Here are the steps to reproduce the issue: 

1. Launch Power BI Desktop.

2. Connect to a data source and import some sample data

3. Go to a blank page (e.g. Page 1)

4. Add a visual to the page and add some data to the visual

5. Whilst the visual is selected, select the format icon in the Visualizations pane. Set the X position of the visual to 10 and the Y position to 10. Set the height to 200 and the width to 200.

6. Add a second visual to the page and set the X position to 10 and the Y position to 220, so that the top is spaced 10 from the bottom edge of the first visual.

If you select the second visual, you will see that the top of the visual (including the bar containing the Focus Mode and Export/Remove buttons) overlaps the bottom of the first visual, there is no space between them. To get the spacing I desire, I need to add another 15 to the Y position i.e. 235. When you click outside the visual, the bar goes away, and the overlap is not apparent.  It seems as if the height of the bar containing the Focus Mode and Export/Remove buttons is not counted when taking into account the Y position of the visual - it's as if the actual Y position is (specified Y value - height of bar). This may be by design, but I think it is counter-intuitive. I would class the bar as part of the visual container and would expect the position of the visual to match the value I entered.

I'm using the October 2016 release (Version: 2.40.4554.421 64-bit)

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Jazza

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it to Power BI team to see if it is as designed: CRI 26953380.

I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Jazza

Here is the response from product team: This is by design for now. We plan to redesign the title bar (remove it and replace it with something better) in the near future.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Jazza
Regular Visitor

@v-haibl-msft: thanks for the feedback. I'll keep a look out for the changes in a future version.