Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Desktop Issue: Voivodeships (provinces) in Poland

Hi All,

I have several problems with map visuals in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service:

1. After several months of working with Power BI Desktop (I guess it's a matter of caching or/and upgrades) Filled Map displays only some part of voivodeships in Poland properly. Re-installation of Power BI Desktop and deleting cache folder help here, but it's annoying one (business user getting into %appdata% and deleting cache - can you imagine this scenario in production?).
  2. ESRI ArcGIS Map displays two voivodeships (pomorskie and kujawsko-pomorskie) in the same boundaries. Both in Power BI Desktop and the service.
  3. Using a full notation (e.g. "province, country") makes things worse - none of voivodeships is displayed on Filled Map and Map visuals. I don't get it - if Filled Map and Map are based on Bing Maps, then I would expect the interpreation of location data in those visuals will be the same as I get in maps.bing.com portal. But it's not somehow... Not to mention that for states/provinces/voivodeships it's more natural to use boundary map than bubbles to visualize data.

A repro .pbix file can be downloaded here: http://blog.sqlgeek.pl/Download/Voiviodeships in Poland.pbix. And you can see the report here.

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. And yes, I know there are workarounds with Shape Map, R and Synoptic Panel, but none of them is good for business users.

Cheers,

Pawel Potasinski

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, the right link to the report: http://blog.sqlgeek.pl/Download/Voivodeships in Poland.pbix.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

For column of 'Precise Voivodeship', you need to change the formula

from 

Precise Voivodeship = [Voivodeship] & " Voivodeship, Poland"

to

Precise Voivodeship = [Voivodeship] & " Voivodeship"

Keep the Data Category as 'State or Province'. So that you can use drill down in the filled map as below.

Power BI Desktop Issue Voivodeships (provinces) in Poland_1.jpg

If you want to use a full notation (e.g. "province, country"), please change 'Data Category' to 'Place'.

Power BI Desktop Issue Voivodeships (provinces) in Poland_2.jpg

For the ArcGIS Map issue, I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 40650597
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

Esri are aware of the issue and are working on a fix.

Best Regards,
Herbert