Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Persistent Filters will NOT disable.

While Persistent Filters may be great news for some, This is not true for my company. It was time consuming to open every dataset and turn off the feature but I did all of my datasets that way. That was two weeks ago. Today, while pulling some data from my reports on the Service, I noticed that every report was again highlighting Retain filters and when I would navigate away from the report and return, it was in fact retaining filters. 

Let me clarify: I turned this feature off in each dataset and completed a republish. It is still retaining filters. I am the only person publishing and maintaining reports. There is noone else who could have turned this feature back on. When I check the source models, it is disabled. When I republish it is disabled. And yet, it still allows persistent filters.

How can I end this madness?

Comments
kcantor
Community Champion

I am able to reproduce this issue with other data models as well.

To reproduce, create a dataset without disabling the feature (as all of my datasets pre date the feature and Microsoft turned it on by default in all of them), publish to the service, and break several report pages into a new report with the save as feature.  Next go to the dataset and disable the feature and republish. This disables the feature in the original report from the dataset but in ALL of the satellite reports pulled from the same dataset it is still enabled.

Please note that I cannot afford the time investment of recreating every report that was pulled from a larger dataset that was published to the service. The main dataset has about 25 satellite reports with other shared datasets having a minimum of 3 satellite reports.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @kcantor,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 64275380. Will update here once I get any information.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

kcantor
Community Champion

@v-qiuyu-msft

Thank you.

I hope you get better answers than I seem to be getting. I have spoken in person once and received several messages all with the same "best idea" of deleting all of the reports and republishing. I cannot afford the time required to delete everything.

kcantor
Community Champion

@v-qiuyu-msft

In the past, it was encouraged to upload a large model and then break it into smaller reports through the service to keep from having an abundance of refreshes that had to run. With one mothership datamodel, I would only need one refresh for 20 different reports.  I have been told by support that since these satelite reports were "created in the service" there is no way to disable Persistent Filters. 

Actually, they were created in the desktop and split out in the service but that type of splitting hairs is not productive. 

Why is there no way to disable persistent filters in the service? I cannot be the only one who has issues with filters being retained for read only users who might forget that the report was filtered. These people call and complain that the numbers do not match because they have no clue that filters are retained on each visit regardless of how many times I remind them to clear the filters back to default. 

I cannot be the only one who deals with users who are not as proficient. 

Any help would be appreciated.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @kcantor,

I got below below information internally: 

This is by design. When you use the save as feature, you're creating completely new reports in the service. If you'd like to update the setting on those reports, use file>download pbix, open in desktop, change the setting, and publish or upload to the service and overwrite the report.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

kcantor
Community Champion

@v-qiuyu-msft

I believe this will be a more tedious process than you can imagine. I uploaded a large main dataset and have about 20 satelite reports. Using your method, I would go from having one large dataset to refresh to having 21 equally large datasets to refresh which will take up space and require proper scheduling to keep from bogging down the server.

Fortunately, I heard from Microsoft yesterday and they are planning to push a fix out by 5/10/18 that will not required turning every satelite report into a dataset.

Here is the message from them:

Hi Kristi,

Hope you are doing well.

We received below response from the product team.

Product team working on a feature to address the customers issue, it will reach production by the commit date(5/10).

They are creating a scenario to allow the user to turn off persistent filters per report inside the powerbi service. This will be under the report settings pane.

Instructions:

1. Go to the workspace of the report
  2. Press the reports pivot
  3. the report list item will have a gear icon in the actions column. Click the gear icon
  4. A pane will launch with a toggle to turn it off/on for the report. Set the toggle as desired and save.

And ETA : 5/10

KEITHO
Frequent Visitor

I Have the same frustration.

It would be nice to have a master setting on the service which could switch it off for all reports.