Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ODBC works in Excel but not Power BI Desktop

I used to be able to connect to IBM DB2 on z/OS database through Power BI Desktop using ODBC (and unfortunately only with ODBC for unknown reasons). Since the February (I believe) release of Power BI Desktop I now get the following error when trying to connect:

ERROR [HY010] [IBM][CLI Driver] CLI0125E Function sequence error. SQLSTATE=HY010

If I specify a SQL statement then I can connect to whatever table I specify in the SQL statement. But I prefer/need to have the full Navigator functionality that used to work.

What's strange is that using Excel I can connect just fine (with the full Navigator functionality) to that database using the same ODBC driver.

So what's going on with Power BI Desktop and how do I overcome this frustrating obstacle?

I've tried February 2017, March 2017, and April 2017 versions.

Thank you.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@robarivas

If it is a regression issue, could you please perform the same repro steps in the same machine with both Feb 2017 (Not Working) and Jan 2017 (Do Working) version? So that we can confirm from which build the issue starts to appear. 

When perform the repro steps in Apr 2017 version, please enable tracing in PBI Desktop as this blog and share the logs to me. Please also collect the fiddler traces during repro the issue. Ensure you enable following option before capture.

'angular' is undefined while accessing the embed report url._1.jpg

Please also provide screenshot for the ODBC connector dialog and the error message.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

robarivas
Post Patron

To resolve this issue I needed to add a configuration parameter to my ODBC DSN set-up. Specifically I had to set the parameter for AutoCommit to OFF.  I don't know why I need to do this for the newer versions of Power BI and not for Excel. But can't say that I care too much anymore. Just glad I resolved this particular problem (although it took a few weeks of "Googling"). Now if I can just figure out what the SSL issue is with the built-in DB2 connector...