Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OAuth and SharePoint Online - Failed to update data source credentials

I created a report in Power BI Desktop using a spreadsheet stored in SharePoint online. I published it to Power BI Services but cannot get the data to refresh. I followed the instructions to update the authenication method to OAuth2 and sign in using my Office 365 account but I keep getting the error below. These are the instructions I followed: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-onedrive-business-links/

2017-02-20 11_33_23-Power BI.png

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Jbeneteau

I just tested the same scenario as you and I could update data source credentials successfully.

Have you enabled MFA in your environment? If so, this is currently by design.

OAuth and SharePoint Online - Failed to update data source credentials_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Jbeneteau
Regular Visitor

@v-haibl-msft 

We are using MFA. When I create a dataset based from SharePoint Online in Power BI Service, Power BI automatically recognizes this and gives different options under this menu (See image below). Is it possible to get the same menu when I create the report in Power BI Desktop and publish it to Power BI Service?

2017-02-21 07_57_53-Power BI.png

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Jbeneteau

The temporary solution is to disable the MFA for the user.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had this issue as well yesterday.  It was late so i put it aside until this morning.  For me, simply waiting fixed it.  Couldnt tell you why.  Maybe try it again?