Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Numeric Slider accepting values above/below available values

Does anyone have any thoughts on why Numeric Slider input boxes might allow a user to enter a value greater or smaller than the values available in the column the Numeric slider is based on?  We would like to prevent this from occuring, and are thinking it might be a bug with the numeric slider visual.
    For instance, in the Numeric slider shown below, based on the values in the column the Numeric Slider is based on, the user should only be able to enter values between 1 and 6 in the input boxes, however they are able to enter -100 and 100 as the min/max and the slider appears to update accordingly.  I have even tried to set the page level filters to only allow the 1 through 6 range, without luck  (not ideal as this data might change).
1) Slider Min/Max which should be allowed (only options which will return results)
minmax good.png
2) Slider with wrong values manually entered, even though min/max with non-blank values havn't changed:
minmax bad.png
Ideally, if a user added a value greater than the max value, the input slider would revert back to the largest option available after providing the end-user with an alert/explanation, but just not allowing the input is acceptable. 

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @KyleWilliamsBMI,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 72052779. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @KyleWilliamsBMI,

Please see below information: 

This is by Design. We let users enter any value in case they're setting a filter for data that might change in future. The scale adjusts, and if you slide it back down it'll automatically shrink to the range selected. The user can submit something on ideas.powerbi.com if they want to request a change.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu