Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

None of the gateways work

I already posted an issue about the first problem below back in June but I received no help. I gave up on solving that problem and switched to the personal gateway as a workaround but now that is failing too. I am giving this one more try. Please do not ignore me this time.

My data comes from an on-premise SQL server. I connect to a SQL database for most queries, but most of my reports also include one query to analysis services. Back in early June all of my refreshes started failing. I updated to the newest version of the gateway. That solved the problem on about 5% of my datasets about 50% of the time. The ones that sometimes refreshed after the update still failed a lot, and every dataset that used analysis services continued to fail. I switched to the personal gateway and that got me to about a 60% refresh success rate on average across all my datasets. So I have two issues:

First issue: enterprise gateway does not work with analysis services. Error messages indicate that this has something to do with credentials being invalid. Which is weird because with the personal gateway, the exact same credentials work perfectly. This is extremely frustrating because I need the gateway to run as a service so I don't have to remote into this server all day and night and every weekend to keep my reports refreshing.

My only guess is that this is happening because the credentials I use for data refresh are for a dedicated SQL user account, not my Microsoft account. This is on-premise at a host company so they are not on our tenant. I have no idea why that would work for personal but not work for enterprise but it's the best I can figure out.

Second issue: the personal gateway fails too. About 40% of refreshes still fail under the personal mode gateway. The error message on these failures claim that there is no gateway available. But when I look at the dataset, my personal gateway is right there, marked with a little green "online." 

NoGateway.PNG

This thread was suggested as a possible solution, but it's for the enterprise gateway so I don't think it applies here. You can't add a user to a personal gateway.

My current solution to all of this is to manually refresh my pbix files and republish them multiple times a day. This means my full time job now consists largely of refreshing datasets, something that is supposed to be automated. I am supposed to be a developer, not a human gateway.

I don't really care about this personal mode problem if someone can tell me how to fix the enterprise problem. Please do not ignore this thread too and make me wait another month with no solution. I am about ready to give up on this software if a solution cannot be found. At this point I don't care if other software is more expensive as long as it actually works and I can get some support.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@KHorseman

Could you please help collect the fiddler traces during the refresh through on-premises data gateway (NOT personal mode)? You can manually refresh the dataset in Power BI Service to trigger the failure.

Please also export the gateway logs. Then share the .saz file and exported gateway logs to me through online file service like OneDrive. I'm going to send the logs to related team to take a look.

fiddler option.jpg

None of the gateways work_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info