Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Need to "Cancel Invite" and reshare dashboard when sharing with first time users

I have been trying to roll out Power BI to my organisation (it is a rather large organisation with many users all over the country) whilst our Central IT department is working through upgrading us to Power BI Premium and I have discovered a bug that the Microsoft Customer Service person who is helping me claims is by design.

Bug that was discovered: When I share a report via a dashboard to a new Power BI user (doesn't already have a Pro Licenses) and the user signs up for a Pro Trial to see my report, I need to cancel the invite and resend it.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a report and publish it to a group
  2. Create a dashboard for the report and share it with a user who is not a Pro user yet
  3. Have your user sign up for the Power BI Pro Trial
  4. User will get "Sorry, we couldn't find that report" error

The workaround:

1. After your user signs up for a Power BI Pro Trial (step 3 in the above), go to your dashboard and click "Cancel Invite"
  2. Resend the invite to your user

This works, however, it is a bug and it is creating a lot of extra work for the people who are producing / sharing reports as well as frustrations from our end users.

If you could fix this or assure that this will be fixed when we move to Premium, that would be really helpful in getting our users to adapt to Power BI as their new reporting tool.

Thank you,

-Winnie

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

It seems that you have already created a support ticket. The support engineer are still trying to get more information from the product team. Please keep contact with that engineer to see if there will be a DCR or any workaround can be used to mitigate.

Best Regards,
Herbert

darmiento

same issue here .. please fix

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy

I have the EXACT same issue...this isn't going to work for hundreds of users rolling out...

rj82

Facing a similar issues. Taking it a step further, Will new users are added to a AD group with whom the redashboard have been shared, get the access automatically? or, would we have to remove access for the group and re-share with the group to render access to the new user? We don't want to provide user by user access with PowerBI.  

mobri061

same issue, please fix

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy

Bump, what is the story here?

This is killing our roll out, is there still no way to handle this bug?

smithnb
Advocate I

Hi all! What's the latest? Creates a very bad first impression for new users. 

mikegunns
Helper I

Agreed this is a bad impression. We have found that even when users have already been assigned a Pro license, they must have logged into Power BI at least once before, before any dashboards can be successfully shared with them. Our current (broken) process:

1. Assign Pro licenses to users
  2. Share appropriate dashboards with those users
  3. Users log in for first time and see no shared dashboards
  4. We receive email from frustrated users, must then unshare/reshare same dashboards

It looks like you may be able to tell which users are affected by looking at the list of shared access. New users who have not yet ever logged into PBI seem to show up with the full email address under NAME, rather than their AD Name. I'm not 100% sure on this, but seems to be the case as we see the full email address under Access when we unshare, then upon resharing see the individual's full name in the list.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We've since moved to premium and thankfully no longer have these issues.

mikegunns
Helper I

We're now looking at using app workspaces for distributing Power BI content, rather than sharing dashboards individually.