Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matrix with multiple row values appearing on the visualisation

Your recent changes to the Matrix visualisation appear to have removed the ability to display multiple values selected as rows without using drill down.

It is not always appropriate to use drill downs or we wish to present multiple categories on the main report.

Is it still possible to achieve this? Matrix visualations that were originally prepared like this still work but there is no standard matrix visualisation appearing on the Visualisations Pane with this functionality enabled.

Where can we still select a visualisation to continue this functionality? Is there a Custom Visualisation to allow this?

Can it be achieved while still using the new Matrix visualisaition that allows drill down?

I note the new formatting option for 'Show on Row's'. That only applies to Values fields.

Providing maximum flexibility is vital when selecting which fields appear as columns or rows, similar to what can be achieved in Excel with Pivot tables. This is a vital piece of functionality.

Row columns.png

Comments
aeyre_ppba
Advocate I

I thought that enabling Stepped Layout may help but turning it on (or off) seems to have not effect.

We do not want to (or be forced to) setup a hierarchy.

The fields selected as Rows are unrelated.

A simple listing by date with the date as one column along with other fields should be possible/is required.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @aeyre_ppba,

In the new matrix visual, as the Ros contains many columns, you can click the Expand all down one level in the hierarchy button to show all row group values. 

q5.PNGq6.PNG

Reference:
Use the Matrix visual in Power BI Desktop

For your requirement about display row group values without drill down, please submit a idea here

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

aeyre_ppba
Advocate I

Thank you for your response, and I understand that new functionality has been introduced.

However, I still want to achieve multiple columns on the top level report without drilling down. Is there a visualisation that achieves this - the existing visualisation created pre the new functionality still works so I'd like to use a similar visualisation again.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @aeyre_ppba,

The old matrix is replaced as new version. If you don't want to drill down to expand column groups, I'm afraid there is no such visual can achieve your requirement. 

You can submit your feedback here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft Thanks for the solutions. This resolved my issue.

Thanks,

Ganesan k.

kurkin_alex

@v-qiuyu-msft  Thanks, I think the method you  provide is solutions for current question;)

aartiladdha
Employee

can we show values in every cell of the row with stepped layout turned off?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this post is old, but you could merge the two desired columns into one new column, add a seperator. This would allow the funcionality your looking for.