Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matrix columns being automatically resized even when Auto-size Column Width is set to OFF

PBI Desktop version: 2.48.4792.721 64-bit (July 2017)

1. Use a simple data set with one table
  2. Add a filter to the canvas (I used region)
  3. Add a matrix control and add Rows (year), Columns (month), and Value (sales)
  4. For the matrix control you just created, turn off Auto-size Column Width
  5. Resize the columns to make them narrower
  6. Change the filter

Result: All of the columns are auto-sized back to what they were originally.

Expected: the auto-size column width setting to be respected and the columns to not change width. Like, ever, unless I turn that setting on or resize the columns myself.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @hymieho,

The same issue has been reported before: CRI 32918570. You can see v-haibl-msft's reply in this thread:

This is actually due to a difference in behavior between the old and the new Matrix. Actually, the old  Matrix is working as you expect not because of turning Auto size to off, it is because you previously resized one instance of the columns. In the old Matrix, resizing any instance of the columns, let’s say “BAYSTATE WING HOSPITAL & MEDICAL CTR-MA-CCN:220030” will result into resizing all the hospitals columns not only the one you resized which means that regardless of the filter you apply all the displayed columns will have the same width. This was seen as a limitation because the user is not able to give different sizes to different instances, so in the new Matrix the size is assigned to the individual instance you resize and will not affect other instances. By filtering through the slicer as shown in your video, you are removing some instances that you have resized and introduced new instances that were never resized before, that’s why the new instances did not honor the size of the old ones. The “Auto size” when switched to off, is not supposed to control this case, i.e. it is not supposed to transfer the sizes of the removed instances to the new ones, it only ensures that the same instance will not change in size during any operations you perform like sorting, filtering, etc..

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

hymieho
Resolver I

I don't think my issue is explained by the link you pointed to because I have only a single matrix control on a single report page.  This is a bug, I imagine having to do with opening a .pbix file created by an earlier version because I had not touched this .pbix file for several weeks--definitley not since the July 2017 release of PBI Desktop.

Why is this a bug? Because I was able to resolve it:

1. Uninstalled PBI Desktop (JULY)

2. Installed PBI Desktop (JUNE PBIDesktop_x64 2.47.4766.801) which still has both matrix controls available

3. Opened up my .pbix file and converted the matrix from the new style back to the old style & saved

4. Uninstalled JUNE & Installed JULY

5. Open .PBIX file 

6. Converted old matrix to new matrix

Now it works as expected--I resize columns and they "stick" even if I change a filter on the same page, as before.

~Hymie

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Vicky_Song,

You said only matrix visual in your report, but in your original post, you said "2. Add a filter to the canvas (I used region)", did you mean you add region on visual/page/report level filter?

In your last post, you said "3. Opened up my .pbix file and converted the matrix from the new style back to the old style & saved", did this old style visual means matrix visual not matrix preview?

It would be better if you could share pbix file with dummy data for us to reproduce the issue.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

mahimabedi
Responsive Resident

I am facing the same issue. Even if i turn off the auto-resize, if i switch from one report page to another- it resizes again. I am not applying any filters. I am simple moving from one report page to another. Thsi is a bug, and it is not fixed.

dm-p
Super User

Agreed - this is still very much an issue and is causing us headaches with matrix placement and sizing in reports. 

As I've had a couple of complaints from report authors internally, I've spent the best part of a morning trying to figure out how to reproduce it but with little luck. I originally thought that it was an issue with using an old document that used the preview version of the matrix, so I re-created this report from scratch in a brand new document using the August Desktop release (so, GA visuals). I didn't have any issues with the matrix until a couple of hours in and then the problem came back again, so it seems to be something unrelated to this original line of thought.

My matrix has three measures with a column (effectively splitting the matrix into 9 columns - 3 unique values in the pivot column).

Seemingly a single measure with a column attribute does not trigger the issue, nor does multiple measures without a column attribute. In these cases I can size the columns exactly as I like, navigate away or apply a cross-filter and the matrix display remains exactly as I intended, so there's possibly something with grouping multiple measures with column values triggering the behaviour.

If I combine columns and measures then the matrix behaviour is very inconsistent - sometimes it behaves as expected but more often than not, it doesn't, which is what seems to be happening for others here. I've had the same matrix copy/pasted on the same page and the sizing for one will remain fixed and the other will break as described. The "working" one will eventually break and behave the same as the other.

Occasionally, word-wrap settings will not be honoured either:

dm-p
Super User

As a heads-up to anyone watching this thread, I've been able to reproduce it consistently for my use cases, so have submitted a support request. Support are following up with the product team as they can reproduce also.

gizmo369
Regular Visitor

I'm still having the same issue. My was that this was supposed to be fixed with the latest update, however that is not the case, 

Is there an ETA on when this will be fixed? It's frustrating to use something that warps your data into something completely illegible 

dm-p
Super User

I've just heard back from support this morning that the fix has been implemented in the upcoming October release of Power BI Desktop Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would be nice if they also could add this fix to Power BI Report Server (August Release) aswell!