Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matrices seem to ignore slicer selections when the criteria should result in an empty dataset.

When I apply slicers that should result in the Matrix showing an empty dataset (because no records meet the criteria) the matrix fails to update to an empy dataset.  Instead the matrix remains static and shows the results of my previous slicer selections.

This is basically the same issue that was reported here:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Matrix-Visual-not-Displaying-Blank-Information-when-Filtering...

Although it appears to have been resolved, I am now having the same issue in the most recent version of the desktop (June 2018).

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue in Power BI desktop version 2.60.5169.3201. Please update your Power BI desktop to this version then test again. 

e1.PNGe2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.

I updated to the latest version (July 2018) and am still having the same issue.

The issue only seems to present itself in a matrix that contains both columns and multiple values. 

Please see below.

Here we see that when I choose YCHANNEL = Mail channel, there is only data for PC 50, 52, and 55.

There is no data for PC 11, 58, 60, 61.

Image 1.jpg

When I add criteria for PC 50, the results shrink down as expected.

Image 2.jpg

However, when I add criteria that should result in an empty data set, the results do not change.

Below I've selected PC 60, which based on the first image, should result in an empty dataset.  It doesn't and instead simply shows me the previous results.

Image 3.jpg

I've noticed that if I turn "column subtotals" on, then the results correctly show an empty dataset.  See below.  The problem is turning subtotals on makes the reporting I'm trying to show way too complicated for the end users (my examples are simplified).

Image 4.jpgI

I greatly appreciate any help you can lend!

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 78256680. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

ETA for fix is September release. As a workaround, enable "Show items with no data" on Columns would unblock them.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick response.  Much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Sean

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please update the Power BI desktop to the September version 2.62.5222.761 then test again, the issue should be fixed. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thanks.  This is working as expected.