Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Locale Date Time Formats (with *) show as M/d/yyyy in menu (Jan 2018 update)

In Power BI Desktop Jan 2018 release, with a Date or Date/Time field selected in the Fields pane, when you navigate to the Modeling ribbon / Format / Date Time menu, the options at the top (marked with an *) that respect the machine locale now show in US format (e.g. M/d/yyyy) on machines with non-US locales e.g. English (Australia).

This appears to only be a problem in the display of the menu.  When date fields are shown in a visual e.g. a Table, the expected non-US locale is used e.g. d/M/yyyy.  

This issue was introduced with the Jan 2018 update to PBI Desktop.

Comments
v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @mike_honey,

I have reported this issue to the Product Team: CRI 56525764.

Best Regards,

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @mike_honey,

The Product Team is working on this. There is a workaround.

1- Install the store app from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/power-bi-desktop/9ntxr16hnw1t?rtc=1

2- From "Region & language" settings dialog in windows, under languages, add "English (United Kingdom)" and click Set as default.

3- Run the store app, the desired format should appear in the dropdown.

Best Regards,

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Further to this, I am using PBI Desktop on a Windows 7 Enterprise Edition machine. Since the January update I have lost the ability to format dates in a non-US format. My locale (Options and Settings --> Options --> Regional Settings) is set to English (United Kingdom), but this is not being reflected in the formatting options I have available.

mike_honey
Memorable Member

@Anonymous - the "My locale" you described sounds like the Locale for import settings, which are unrelated to this issue.

sharan1
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue (only US date formats appearing except dd-MMM-yy) and have reported it to the Product team.

MGPAnderson
Regular Visitor

When are we going to get a fix for this?  We cannot develop using Power BI without a fix.  If no fix is available, please can we have the December 2017 installer made available?

This release of PowerBI Desktop is most definitely the worst yet and a very good reason not to automaticallyupgrade.

Issues faced:

- doesn't retain user credentials

- constant crashing

- international version is not available (i.e US only)

This is only in 6 hours use today.

sharan1
Regular Visitor

This is so frustrating. Initially the problem was the date format within the Desktop app but the dates were showing as the correct format on the service. Now, dates are showing in US format on the service too! I'm having to update my solutions to use dd-M-yy.

I agree with MGPAnderson - I too am losing credentials so, when I try and publish, my solution crashes and I have to end the process in Task Manager. Then open the solution again, refresh again and then publishing gives the option to login without crashing.

Normally the monthly update adds features and is very stable. This January one is a nightmare. The Microsoft Support team confirm it's a known issue and is being fixed - the support case is closed because it's a known problem. So....... no timescale for a fix, no realistic work-around, very upset users and a shed load of additional work to update solutions which you'll just have to update again when the fix does appear.

Sorry for the rant but I just want to bang my head on a wall! <sigh>

mike_honey
Memorable Member

@MGPAnderson , @sharan1

You've missed one issue (that appeared with the 19 Jan 2018 update): 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Problem-with-2nd-January-2018-update-can-t-apply-query-chang...

That was a showstopper for a while on one project.

I agree it has been a frustrating month.

MGPAnderson
Regular Visitor

@mike_honey

Thanks for your comment.  I downloaded and upgraded PBI desktop on 29/01/2018 to version:

2.54.4970.961 64-bit (January 2018)

I see that "2.55.5010.521" was published yesterday and so, I will give it a go.

Either way, I will be keeping the Desktop installers going forward!