Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jan Update and Build 15002:DataFormat.Error: The input couldn't be recognized as a valid Excel docum

NIGHTMARE!

I am building a couple of dashboards in desktop, done 60Hrs this week alone.

Working fine yestereday- all use excel files and tables as data sources

Today- Update inside windows 10 insiderPro build 15002 this morning

Update to Jan 2017 PowerBI

Now every dash won't update with the message 

DataFormat.Error: The input couldn't be recognized as a valid Excel document.

Every file opens fine in excel not corrupted, even tried with new data, same message

I've rolled back to an earlier Power BI but get the same error, any other ideas welcome.

Is there a setting in the build 15002 that doesn't recognise excel files as excel files???

Comments
markpjohnson

I had the same issue. I rolled back from Windows 10 Insider 15002 to Windows 10 Insider 14986. I don't get the error message anymore. 

Funkmiester
Advocate I

Thanks Mark,

I tested the Jan release on my laptop which has 14986 and it works fine.

I would roll back but I thought 15007 might include a fix, I was wrong. Once I had installed 15007 I could only roll back as far as 15002. I'm not happy. I've lost a whole day so far.

I can convert the excel files to CSV but one excel book has 27 tables so I'l do some other work until it the issue is fixed. 

Thanks for posting though Mark, at least now I know it's not just me.

Funkmiester
Advocate I

Still Waiting on an answer- More experiments have revealed that having a table in any sheet in excel triggers the error. You can create loads of data, save it in a plain spreadsheet and import it to POwerBi without issue, but as soon as you convert that same data in the same file to a table it produces the error.

TK510

Ditto.  Terrible last 48 hours, and still waiting for any solution... all Dashboard refresh works are pending...

SteveNovoselacT

I ran into this issue and did some troubleshooting, to no avail. It definately is build 15002/15007 that cause the issue though.

Maybe the excel ODBC driver or something? not sure.

everything being equal (office versions, pbi version, workbooks) things dont work on the latest versions of windows 10.

funny enough Get Data from Excel will open up another Excel file with a table in it just fine, PBI wont though.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 29920719

I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

SteveNovoselacT

for now to work around this with my existing pbix files i changed the excel files to just sheets vs tables using "convert to range" and then updated my connections to use Sheet vs Table, basically also had to promote column headers for each one but the rest of the steps stayed the same.

Funkmiester
Advocate I

@SteveNovoselacT I've done the same work around. I had 46 tables so it took about 3 seconds of my time, obviously. I thought 15014 released today might fix it but nope. It did fix my non functioning printer that would print everything except text. Brand new printer yesterday and didn't print text until the update. I don't mind helping out but these half baked "updates" are more trouble than they are worth. How can you break a flagship product even on an early release?? I'll keep people notified if anything changes. Interesting it took a week before it was accepted as a "real" problem. Too many non value added layers in the support funtion.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

Hi All,

Since the insider version is a beta operation system of dubious stability. This is not supported today. Power BI team will file a tracking bug for this issue.

Best Regards,

Herbert