Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Issue adding new data source within office 365

Hi,

We have a Windows Server 2012R2 box up in azure running MS SQL server - I have managed to install the enterprise gateway fine and can access the SQL DB fine with PowerBI Desktop, but when I am trying to add a new data source within office 365 I get the following error:

powerbi problem.jpg

I have set up data sources from servers in our own DC fine, just never when MS SQL is on a server up in azure, any suggestions?

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@mbikerdav

This is likely due to the browser session having an out-of-date value for the gateway's public key.

Please attempt the following things:
Clear browser cache and/or try adding the datasource in another browser & validate correct date/time settings on gateway host machine.

If this does not solve the problem, please uninstall the gateway, install the gateway again and choose to 'restore' the gateway settings. (This forces key pair regeneration) After this, in a new browser session, attempt to add the datasource.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

mbikerdav
Regular Visitor

@v-haibl-msft- Thanks for that, it worked - however now when we are trying to refresh a dataset the gateway is showing as Offline? The server name + DB name are the same (I understand this is sometimes the issue as it is case-sensitive)? Again all this works fine on our on-site servers just this Server2012r2 VM in azure is giving us grief

With on-prem gateway surely it should use that and not require personal to be installed?

Pasted image at 2017_02_20 12_01 PM.png

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@mbikerdav

If you are using on-premises gateway, could you please check the status in Mange gateways?

If the gateway status is online in Manage gateways but inactive in Dataset settings, I suggest you to create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page).

Best Regards,

Herbert

mbikerdav
Regular Visitor

Fixed it, turns out it was an issue with the report that the user had created! Thanks for the assistance