Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Issue: Can't display the visual see details

After installing july release power bi won't start anymore.

Rolling back to previous version(s) solves this issue but the visuals don't work anymore.

Every visual gives the error: Can't display the visual see details

Error message:

Error Code:
OpenConnectionError

OData Error Message:
Failed to open the MSOLAP connection.

Currently running Version: 2.47.4766.542 64-bit (June 2017)

I tried to:

-Clean all datasources in power bi (there is no connection with SSAS in the datasources)

-Clean application data

-Different releases (may, june 2017)

On the web I notice several people encounter the same problem.

The "Data" and "Relationships" tabs in Power BI work fine, e.g. data from the datasources (web datasource in my case) is working just fine.

Please help.

Marc

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Marc1979

Are you able to repro this issue with all of your reports which connect to SSAS (it seems that your datasource is SSAS)? Is the issue reproducible if you create a new .pbix file which connects to the same source and create same reports?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Marc1979
Advocate I

Hi,

As mentioned in my post, there is really no report with a connection to SSAS.

There are only two datasources connecting to two webpages and that's all.

I did everything possible to start from scratch (deinstalling, installing, clear datasources, clear application data folder). I even created a simple tabel in power bi and try to make a visual, this will give the same result.

Marc

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Marc1979

After installing July release Power BI won't start anymore. Please try the workaround outlined in this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/PBI-X64-error-July-2017-error-opening-We-weren-t-abble-to/id.... And this issue should can be fixed in the Aug 2017 version of Power BI Desktop.

If issue persists in July 2017 (with above workaround) and the coming Aug 2017 version, I suggest you to create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page).

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Herbert

Marc1979
Advocate I

Ok, thank you for your help.

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

Marc1979
Advocate I

Upgrading to a newer version of power bi didn't help. In the end the issue was the combination of Power BI on the laptop and the laptop being member of a domain. The solution was to remove and add the laptop from and to the domain. Everytime the password of the AD account changes this steps need to be repeated. Unfortunately we need to do this for all our colleagues untill Microsoft will come with a solution.