Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hierarchy slicer not working

Hi,

We have a critical issue with the hierarchy slicer in Power BI desktop and in Powerbi.com(we are using Chrome).

If we select an element in the hierarchy slicer the visuals show the following error: "Can't display the visual". If we change to a normal slicer, everything works fine.

Please help!

Best regard,

Nora Thøgersen

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the error message(it is in norwegian, sorry).

We have also tested it in Firefox and it is not working there either.

error.JPG

jppp
MVP
This could be related to the internal change on how the slicer selections is created. Can you try to clear the current selection and redo the selection and look if it is working then? Thanks, JP
robofski
Resolver II

I'm also having issue today with the hierarchy slicer in the Power BI service, it no longer shows up at all and any filters that were selected when the report was published are removed.  It still works OK in the desktop though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jppp, thanks for the quick response. I have tried to clear the selection and redo the selection with no luck. The error is still the same. I have also tried to delete the filter and create it again. What I then notice is that it is created with "empty leaves" = on and the filter works. But we need the filter to work with "empty leaves" = off. We cannot have all the empty leaves showing. Hope this information helps because we do not want to change all the filters we have in our reports to include the empty leaves.

jppp
MVP
@norathogerson is it possible to share a desktop file with me as I cannot reproduce this behavior meself?
henryf
Regular Visitor

This slicer also stopped working for us today.

We see the filters (no errors), but cannot actually select anything.  Toggling the options in selection (select all, leave empty, single select) does nothing to resolve.

henryf
Regular Visitor

It also appears that we can only sort from Z to A, but not from A to Z

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jppp

Our customers still have an issue with this slicer. When I use Chrome in in-private mode it appears to work just fine. But it did not work for our customers until they cleared cash and cookies. so the question is if they have to do that often or just once?

And when I download the report from powerbi.com(where it is working fine and empty leaves is off) and open it in Power BI desktop the slicer does not work and the formatting is not right(see pictures). Is another  fix on the way?

with empty leaves offwith empty leaves offwith empty leaves onwith empty leaves on 

jppp
MVP
Hi @Anonymous, As the old version of the slicer is rolled back the issue should be disappeared. The new version did indeed have an issue with (not) drawing correct expanders. In the latest version that will be available in ~2 weeks this is fixed correctly. @henryf: it looks like the sorting behavior is indeed changed by Power BI. My visual is only configured to use Power BI sorting and doesn't create that experience. Thanks, Jan Pieter
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jppp !

Have you released a new version of the slicer? We are currently back to the same issue and our customers are not happy!

Regards Nora