Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Global SQL Server Datasource Credentials

We have currently a project, that should deliver several PBIX-Files to different customers.
Every PBIX-File should access the same SQL Azure Database, but should use different SQL Login-Credentials (since not every customer should be able to access all database objects). If we now wanna test this on our local environment, and create these PBIX-Files with different SQL Logins, it always overwrites the SQL Logins of the global Datasource. This is indeed annoying, but can be worked around by just entering the logins again and again before publishing.

The real problem shows up when we publish these PBIX-Files to Power BI Web and try a scheduled refresh of multiple datasets:
Since the SQL Login gets always overwritten as soon as you publish a new PBIX-File, it kind of uses a random SQL Login, so we cannot guarantee to provide the correct data to the original files.

Our question now is if it's really fully intended to always overwrite the logins of a global Datasource, even in different, shared workspaces or will there be any solution in the future to store the logins with the files or provide a section to manage the Datasources properly (maybe analog the SSRS-Datasources)?

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Jackinus

Are you connecting to SQL Azure Database in Power BI Desktop? Import or Direct Query mode? Do you mean that you have different users to access this azure db, use the user1's credential in the first PBIX file and publish to group1 in Power BI Service. Then use the user2's credential, and publish the same PBIX file to group2. Now both the credentials in group1 and group2 become user2's credential?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Jackinus
Regular Visitor

Hi Herbert,

Thank's for your feedback.

Yes, I'm accessing an SQL Azure Database and use it in the Import mode (Direct Query is not an option for us in this use case since we want to use Quick Insights and have lots of data that only gets refreshed daily).

And yes, this describes exactly my problem. But it doesn't matter if I use the same PBIX file in both groups or use a different one but access the same data source (= the same database). It always takes the login information of the last published file (or in your words user2's credential).

I hope this gives you a bit more information.

Best regards,

Janick