Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gateway Data Sources are CASE SENSITIVE, but Model Data Sources are NOT

I have a model with a Data Source that is named with all lower case. I deploy the model then try to hook it up to a Data Source defined in a Gateway. The Data Source is defined in UPPER CASE. Result: there is no match so I cannot refresh.

Action: Try to add a second Data Source on the Gateway that is all lower case. Result: An error stating that it is a DUPLICATE Source, and the action is not allowed.

"DUPLICATE", at least to me, means that one item is the SAME AS THE OTHER, but in order for the model to hook in, it NEEDS lower case and does not work with upper case. Therefore, according to the model's reuirement of Data Source name, UPPER CASE named data sources do not equal LOWER CASE named data sources.

What's more, in Power Query, that same model Data Source shows up as UPPER CASE in the first line of the M script advanced editor and we know that Power Query M language is CASE SENSITIVE.

Even more, I tried creating a new Data Source in a new model and tries naming it with all UPPER CASE, and it switched to lower case. Not sure if that was because it had already been defined before or not.

So which is it? It should be consistent across the entire product set, from defining a Data Source in the model, to how it is represented in the Power Query scripts, to how it is matched to a respective Data Source defined in a Gateway.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@ToddChitt

I named a sql database and table in lower case. But I can configure the on-premises data gateway in PBI Service in UPPER CASE successfully. Please refer to my screenshot below and let me know if there is any difference between our repro steps.

The data gateway version is 14.16.6480.1.

Gateway Data Sources are CASE SENSITIVE, but Model Data Sources are NOT_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

ToddChitt
Super User

@v-haibl-msft:

Thanks for your reply. Here are some screen shots from my experience:

The Power Query script was generated with UPPER CASE:

2017-10-25_8-25-09.png

The model has this Data Source listed in lower case:

2017-10-25_8-28-06.png

Unfortunately, the client's Gateway is off line right now so I cannot demonstrate 'matching' data source names, but I can show you the error I get when attempting to add a Data Source of the same name with different case:

2017-10-25_8-38-12.png

And you'll just have to trust me when I tell you that when the Data Source was defined in the Gateway as "BEAD-ERP" , the models deployed could not refresh. After deleting and re-adding the Gateway Data Source as"bead-erp" they worked.

So, from the screen shot above, from the perspective of the GATEWAY, "PowerBIDW" is equal to "powerbidw" and it sees it as a DUPLICATE.

Does it matter that the client data source type is Oracle?

ToddChitt
Super User

@v-haibl-msftCurious to know if you have any more info on this. This issue has popped up again for another client, BTW also running Oracle.