Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Frequent SChannel Errors on server hosting Enterprise Gateway

We are noticing frequent SChannel Errors in the Event log on the machine that is running the enterprise gateway. The file in PBI will refresh anyways.  I'm guessing there is something else that the gateway requires, that isn't on the list of required items for the gateway.  This behavior was seen in our original testing environment, our new production environment, as well as the environment of another company I work with that is also using Power BI.  Someone suggested adding a cert.  We added a self-signed cert, and rebooted the machine for fun, no change.  Is it safe to ignore these errors?

36882: The certificate received from the remote server was issued by an untrusted certificate authority. Because of this, none of the data contained in the certificate can be validated. The SSL connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate.

36888: A fatal alert was generated and sent to the remote endpoint. This may result in termination of the connection. The TLS protocol defined fatal error code is 48. The Windows SChannel error state is 552.

• Gateways
Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@AnniePower

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 36096485
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@AnniePower

I've got response from the Product Team. If the refresh is successful, it is safe to ignore these errors.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

AnniePower
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @v-haibl-msft !

jchughes

I have the same issue but the refresh is not successful.  Any advice welcome.

Splint

For some reason my gateway started to use a self signed certificate from a seperate SQL server (one of my data sources). Not sure what caused this but I expect it to be some setting on the SQL server that changed.

Fix for now: I Found the self signed certificate on the SQL server, exported the certificate, and imported it on the gateway server (trusted root certficate store). Refresh was now successful. 

Make sure your datasource name exactly matches the certificate subject.