Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Filter not working when there are no values in a visual on online version

Filtering works perfectly on the desktop version of BI and shows a blank table when there are no values for the filtered item.

When filtering on the online version, if there are no values in a table for the filtered item, instead of showing a blank table, it shows all items of the table. Is this how it is supposed to interact?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @bdlane

In your scenario, how do you filter the table visual? 

Based on my test in Power BI desktop version 2.50.4859.502 64-bit (September 2017), create a report contains a slicer visual to filter the table visual data. When select "b" in slicer, the table doesn't have data. After publish the report to the Power BI service, the filter works fine as well. 

q2.PNGq3.PNG

Please try to run the same Power BI desktop version as ours then republish the report, make sure the filter condition used to filter the table data are the same both in desktop and service. 

You can also try our test report in your environment to see if the issue related to your report. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

bdlane
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft

Thank you for the quick response. My Desktop version is 2.50.4859.502 64-bit (September 2017).

I published the 'Filter' pbix file on my instance , and it is working correctly by not showing any data in the table for the null value filter. I also checked other pages in my report, and they are filtering correctly (by not showing any data in a table) on both the online and on the Desktop version.

I just am not understanding why this particular report page filters correctly on the desktop version, but the interaction and filter does not function the same way for the online version.

This is what I see when I filter on the Desktop version: https://www.screencast.com/t/xbsGsssu

When filtering the same page with the same person with the Online Power BI report, this is what I see: https://www.screencast.com/t/pXxH7fzF0N

---Rather than filtering the top and bottom tables on the left to not show any accounts (as the desktop version does), it is not filtering them at all.

I have tried re-publishing the desktop version multiple times, and I have double-checked the 'Visualization Interactions' on the tables to make sure they are turned on for cross-filtering.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @bdlane,

Currently a same issue has been reported internally to Power BI Team: CRI 47089613
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted