Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

External sharing users are not able to load model?

Not sure if this is related to the data refresh issue, but starting yesterday I have two different external customers (both in California) that view different dashboards.  They are able to get to the dashboard frames, however get an error stating that "something went wrong.. unable to load the data model".

Anyone else experienceing this with external users?

Our data is on prem, we use the personal gateway, and the external customers are using the link provided in the original MSFT email I shared with them.

Thanks,

Comments
RegalPeter
Frequent Visitor

This is so annoying as it was working during last year.

Our sister company who is fully licensed (PRO) and on a different domain cannot see the data any more

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Mark.

So they are effectively saying that you can only share externally with non pro content? Or only with external users on free accounts?

I have two accounts (one is a Microsoft account as we are a Partner). Both accounts have a pro license and my external users have pro accounts. The exact same report works for the external users when I publish and share from my microsoft account, but not from my usual work account (which I would rather use). Don't see any difference between the two so very confused why this isn't working.

Heather

mwaltercpa
Advocate III

I think they are telling me that pro dashboards won't work external unless I share them with a 'paid' pro trial account. Which does not work in my test.  

Free trials don't count, and apparently pro content won't trigger an external free account to try pro for free.  It just returns the model error.

i've tested this every way I can think of.  paid pro to external paid pro doesn't work, paid pro to new free account won't trigger pro trial.  The only success is sharing a non pro content (no scheduled refresh) dashboard with a free version account.  

The person helping me says the program is working as designed, but programmers are trying to determine how to handle the model error response.

im about to just create a external share domain that I can join w my external customers. Then I'm calling billing to see if a credit is available.

RegalPeter
Frequent Visitor

This is absolutely ridiculous when it was woking last year. This will inhibit the growth of the use of POWER BI going forward and severly affects our business model for our customers. Time to look at an alternative BI dashboard solution unless anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just don't see how that can be true when I get the error using one account but no problems under the other, with EXACTLY the same users and EXACTLY the same report!

mwaltercpa
Advocate III

Why don't you both just join my ticket and email my rep and let him know that you have similar issues. If pro to pro doesn't work for you, please make that very clear as well.

and email me if you discover anything new: markw@industrialfinishes.com

here is the last email I got from MSFT:

REG:217012515225783001

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for you time to discuss the issue with you. To reinstate what we discuss, PG states that the current designed doesn't support cross tenant Pro Trial. The Devs are discussing what is the right long term solution and a short term mitigation for this CRI. Thank you for your understanding and when I get more information I will pass it to you.

Best Regards,

Anthany Nelson

Support Engineer
SQL Support – Business Intelligence
Working hours: 8:00 - 5:00pm CST
v-antnel@microsoft.com
Office: (866) 425-9899 ext. 2236362

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I join your ticket?

mstayner
Frequent Visitor

No idea, but I am going to pass this thread on to the support person who is working on this issue.

mwaltercpa
Advocate III

I'd suggest you just email the person working on my ticket, and reference the REG# above in the email I posted.  I've already emailed him a heads up that he might get a couple emails regarding this topic.

mwaltercpa
Advocate III

Thank you mstayner.