Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

External sharing users are not able to load model?

Not sure if this is related to the data refresh issue, but starting yesterday I have two different external customers (both in California) that view different dashboards.  They are able to get to the dashboard frames, however get an error stating that "something went wrong.. unable to load the data model".

Anyone else experienceing this with external users?

Our data is on prem, we use the personal gateway, and the external customers are using the link provided in the original MSFT email I shared with them.

Thanks,

Comments
mwaltercpa
Advocate III

error.jpg

drazendurinic
Frequent Visitor

One of our customers has the same problem since few days.

Last week everything worked fine.

Is it possible that the problem is that we use Pro version and they use Free version?!

mwaltercpa
Advocate III

I thought of that, however they were not prompted to update the pro trial.

It was in a shared work group, and I am an admin, but had gotten a strange error saying I was not able to post to the shared workgroup...

I finally decided to publish the dashboard to my own workgroup, then re-send the sharing link.  That for whatever reason worked! 

Solved.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@mwaltercpa

Have you got the problem solved after publish the dashboard to your own workgroup?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

mstayner
Frequent Visitor

I have been experiencing the same issue all week; last week external users were able to access a dashboard that had been shared, no problem .  Data is in an on-prem SSAS.  Here's the error:

Capture.JPG

mwaltercpa
Advocate III

For one of the two customers, I simply saved the model on prem under a different file name, then republished the dashboard, and shared externally in PBI.com.

For the second customer however, that did not work, and I re-created the dashboard in a completley new file, then published, shared, and he was able to see it.

With the second customer however, I have not sceduled an auto refresh through my gateway (a pro only feature). 

He can see the contents/model for now.  However I am nervous to turn on auto refresh, then him tell me he lost the data... Is there a way I can have him verify his pro trial is still active?

Thanks,

RegalPeter
Frequent Visitor

I've had the same issue with non-organisation (external) userspowerbi error.jpg

mwaltercpa
Advocate III

I thought I had solved this by re-creating my cusotmers dashboard.  It worked on Friday, however today we are back to the same error message. 

The only difference is that we had a refresh happen over the weekend.  Now the cusotmer goes to the email weblink (shared externally) and gets the attached message.   I can't help but think that this might be related to the customers pro status?? They have not been notified of an expiration.  However the x's in the elements remind me of helping our internal staff troubleshoot.  An internally, the answer was that they needed to opt for the pro trial, since I work on prem through a personal gateway.  And I have gotten no failure notices...

mwaltercpa
Advocate III

My customers error notice is identical to the post above mine.