Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

External Sharing email not sending/receiving?

I am working to try and resolve an issue regarding external sharing with our Customers.  About two weeks ago my external customers have commented that they are no longer able to see the model in the data elements on PowerBI.com.

I have a hunch that the renew pro subscription prompt is not showing for them, and they are unable to load the model because of that. I have not heard if this was indeed an issue, or has been fixed.

I also opened a trouble ticket and worked with an engineer at MSFT (Anthany Neslon).  I was unable to get to him an invite email (even tho it shared successfully from PBI.COM).  Today, I got my own 'external' domain email, and was also unsuccessful in sharing with myself.  The invite indicates it sent just fine, but I never receive the email on my other domain.  

Is there work being done on this feature? 

Thanks,

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@mwaltercpa

Can your customers receive the dashboard sharing email? Or they just cannot access the dashboard after they click the shared dashboard link in the email? What is the error message if cannot access?

I just tried to share my dashboard to an external user and everything worked well.

BTW, if they can receive the dashboard sharing email, does the string "&share=1" exist in the end of sharing URL? If not, try to add "&share=1" to the dashboard url and open it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

mwaltercpa
Advocate III

They are able to receive the sharing email, and they are able to view the frame of the dashboard, however there is an X in each of the boxes.  I'll post the detailed error they get in the morning.  It says, something went wrong.. unable to load model schema...

ive seen these Xs before, when an internal users pro trial expires.. but then the service asks them to renew.. and that fixes it.  

I will I'll say that the dashboard I tested today, never warned me about the pro content and going pro... which I feel is why the info is blocked.

i tried it just tonight by setting up a free powerbi account using my wife's work email address, and got the same error as my customers. 

I have on prem data, I use the personal gateway, I have pro, and schedule auto refreshes.

mwaltercpa
Advocate III

i just tried adding the &SHARED=1 and that had no effect. 

here is a snapshot of the error

IMG_0082.PNG