Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Export Data Alert Message Missing and Variable export Size Limit

Hi I'm having an issue with the export feature in Power BI Service. When I export a dataset that reaches over 150k rows it is no longer providing the "Data Sampling Alert Message." This is causing issues as users don't know if the data they're getting back is accurate!!!

I am also having an issue with exporting long tables. When I export a table with say 12 columns it will hit the 150k row limit threshold (150k rows when excel file is open and data sampling will occur). When I try to export longer tables (around 22 columns) I get the same data sampling issue but even less rows. depending on my filters it may be 110k rows or 112k rows that come back but the data is still sampled. One thing I noticed is that the file reaches a maximum 4.4mb .xlsx size when exporting this long table.

Thank you for reviewing. 

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

Did you get the "Data Sampling Alert Message" before? In my memory, the maximum number of rows that can be exported to .xlsx is 150,000, but there is no such message will notify the user.

For the second issue, do you mean that if we export a table with around 22 columns and 150K+ rows, the exported .xlsx file (underlying data) only has about 110K or 112K rows? If yes, I cannot repro it on my side.

Based on my test, the exported .xlsx file has 150K rows and same column number as the data source (I tested with 19 columns).

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue #1: Yes the data is limited to 150k rows but below is a screen grab of the messaging Power BI used to give once you exceeded the limit. This may have been back when the limit was only 30k rows but we should still get this messaging if we've reached over 150k.

Data Limit Exceeded.png

Issue #2: Not sure the differences of our dataset's but the example I can provide is this

-- My table has 18 columns and the dataset is well over 150k rows. When I export it, I only got 128k rows

-- I take that same exact table and I remove four columns. I then export again and now it gives me 150k rows.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

For Issue #1, I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 40488372
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

For Issue #2, is it possible to share your dataset example to me? I'd like to have a try on my side.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for pushing item one through. Unfortunetly on item two, it's an on on-prem analysis services connection i'm unable to share. 

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

For Issue #2, you can try to create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page).

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Herbert