Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Expand All option is not working on the Map visual

Hi,

We are using the map visual and we are seeing some peculiar behaviour for this visual.

I have the data like this, whenerin the first level of hierarchy is the Country and the next level in City. For the City column I have already appended the country so that when only City is plotted there is no discrepency for the same name cities across globe.Table.PNG

Now coming to the problem, we are able to plot properly and the "Drill" mode and "Go to the next level of hierarchy" works absolutely fine. Problem comes in with we use "Expand All down one level in the hierarchy". The data just disappear! It dosen't show anything.

ExpandAll.PNG

This how it looks when we see at City level (using the "Go to the next level of hierarchy")

City.PNG

Same data when converted to other visual like bar chart gives me proper information. 

My ask is, is there any limitation with repect to Expand All feature while using map?

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Kavita

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 35853565
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

You can remove the country part from the city column, it should work in that way.

Expand All option is not working on the Map visual_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Kavita
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the update. 

The reason we are going with the City and country concatenated for the City level data is that, we want to eliminate the wrong data plottting for the same named city acrosss the world.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Kavita

I've got response from the Product Team.

The two expand buttons for drill, "go to next level" and "expand all to next level", are used for different analysis. Expand All will concatenate category values for you with spaces, hence for your specific case, we generate"Iceland Reykjavik, Iceland", which Bing has trouble geocoding. You can use "go to next level" to just jump to your city values, or you can use "expand all" with bare city names (don't include country name in your city name field).

We have a scenario in our backlog to improve working with geo-hierarchies, but this is by design for now.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

Kavita
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the information. This helps.

One thing I would like to point out is, when we search "Iceland Reykjavik, Iceland" on Bing, it does point to the correct place. I had tried this when I was trying to analyze the issue, so I had assumed that map visual too should not have any issue.