Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Exception when connecting to Azure Analysis Services

We often get an error message in PowerBI Desktop when creating the connection to Azure Analysis Services.

After inserting the server name the dialog box show's an error: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"

Sometimes inserting the database name solves the problem, but this workaround skips the step of choosing the desired perspective and not always our users know the database name.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ruifcg,

Does the issue occur both in Import and DirectQuery modes? 

Please update the Power BI desktop to the latest version then test again. 

Please use SSMS connect to the Azure Analysis Service via the same server name to see if connection is successful. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

ruifcg
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Thanks for your reply.

The issue occurs when connecting using live connection.

I have Win10 Power BI desktop app, so I'm using the latest version and I have no problems connecting with SSMS.

Actually this problem is very random, has sometimes it also happens when I open an existing Pbix file and  change the server name.

Sometimes, changing the database name will do the trick, other times I have to restart PBI Desktop and eventually it will work,

I'm inclined to believe it is something related to AAD credential caching, but it's just a guess.