Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error message when I try to update any Content Pack

When I try to update a content pack, (in app.powerbi.com, cog -> View Content Pack ->  Edit (an existing content pack) -> click UPDATE button), I see an error message that begins "The following groups have failed validation..." This happens with all of my content packs, even when there are only 5 members of the workspace that the content pack is publishing to, and all members are definitely still current staff members. Any ideas?

Comments
jat75
Advocate II

Thank you Adam for the update. For our clients, we use a development workspace to develop content, then we publish that content as a content pack which we bring into another workspace for client users to interact with, but they are unable to make any report changes. Doesn't look like there's any way to do this until the fix is implemented.

jheesterbeek
Frequent Visitor

@AdamWilson thanks for your comment about the workarround. I need a little more guidence.

I created groups in Office 365 People, those groups are also available as workspace in Power BI. I expect you call this an Office 365 modern group.

I have no clue what a mail-enabled group is, nor what the difference is. 

I also have no knowledge about PowerShell.

Is there some tutorial availbe how to use the script and what settings I should change to make it work for my organisation?

bschultz
Frequent Visitor

You have got to be kidding !!!!  4 to 6 weeks before this gets fixed ??  How many thousands of users are impacted negatively by this ??   Huge black eye for Power BI. 

ricardoromero
Regular Visitor

Agree with bschultz, a big black eye for PowerBi.

Some update broke this functionality, needs to be fixed sooner.

PowerShell is a complicated workaround.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi All,

I tested it with publishing to a Security group successfully. Due to there are many scenarios, I wonder if this might help.

Best Regards,

Dale

jdunmall
Advocate I

I’m getting a slight different error “Be sure to enter valid groups”. But the same symptoms.

This is a major problem.

Does it impact everyone using content packs?

asyed
Regular Visitor

It does affect anyone using any content pack that is to be shared with any app workspace groups, and it is quite frustrating to see MS taking such light note on this issue, as pretty much no new content packs can be created to be shared with any groups, and neither existing packs be updated to be shared with any groups!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is really crazy. how can they remove the functionality without any proper announcements. Now i am not able to update any of the reports that my top management is using.

jat75
Advocate II

I don't think Microsoft understands that we're not just using Office 365 groups for membership, we're often times using multiple workspaces for content management and then sharing with other workspaces for read only access by end users.

jdunmall
Advocate I

Why does it take more than a month to fix a feature that has been working for years? This isn't making any sense.