Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error Power BI Desktop: Cannot Connect to Power BI Service

Hello,

we try to connect to a Power BI Service Dataset as Datasource. It works fine for some collegues, but not at all for others. We don't use specifice Security features, like RLS. They tried to login with several users, but the problem seems to be locally on their PC, since these users worked from other machines. 

Please see the full description below.

Best regards

Patrick

Error Message:

An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source 'OpenConnectionError'. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source.

Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.LocalReportProcessingHost.ExecuteSchemaCommand[T](DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, ITracer tracer, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService, Func`2 action, String failTelemetryMessage)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.LocalReportProcessingHost.GetModelMetadata(IASConnectionInfo connectionInfo, DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, ITracer tracer, String modelMetadataVersion, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.DataShapingHelper.GetModelMetadata(IPowerViewEngine powerViewEngine, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IASConnectionInfo asConnectionInfo, Boolean useMsolapForCsdl, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService, String maxModelMetadataVersion)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetModel(String dataSourceName, String modelMetadataVersion)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetModelAsStream(String dataSourceName, String modelMetadataVersion)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.GetModelStream(IPowerViewHandler powerViewHandler, String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.ExploreClient.GetConceptualSchema(String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.GetConceptualSchema()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.get_DataModel()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Report.GetCurrentModelAuthoringCapabilities()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.GetConceptualSchema()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.get_DataModel()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Report.GetCurrentModelAuthoringCapabilities()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ExplorationClientHost.IsAskAQuestionSupported()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions[T](IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Func`1 func)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ExplorationClientHost.IsAskAQuestionSupported()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions[T](IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Func`1 func)

Stack Trace Message:

An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source 'OpenConnectionError'. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source.

nabled Preview Features:

PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled

PBI_EnableReportTheme

PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled

CustomConnectors

PBI_qnaExplore

Disabled Preview Features:

PBI_variationUIChange

PBI_canvasTooltips

Disabled DirectQuery Options:

PBI_DirectQuery_Unrestricted

TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:

GlobalCloud

Formulas:

section Section1;

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please open Power BI desktop, check if signed in Power BI account have edit permission to access the connected dataset. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets#limitations-and-considerations

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-qiuyu-msft,

thank you for your reply. As I said, I already tried with different user accounts. For some people they work, for others not.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, I know some of them have issue. So please first check where does the connected dataset restored, in My Workspace or a app workspace. Then check if these issues person has permission to access the dataset. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @v-qiuyu-msft,

I tried to change permissions and even let them log in with my account. However, none of this works. The app workspace, where the dataset is hosted, is accessible for them. Even if it wouldn't be, I tried to connect from their computer with my account (which works for me), and it still did not work. So I guess, it is either a hardware or network sided behaviour.

I could also send you some more logs, if you tell me how to get them.

Best regards

Patrick