Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error: Feature switches have not been registered yet so switch values may not be correct

Hi,

After the latest March release, something seems to have broken. Our working reports in Power BI embedded have started throwing error "Debug Assert Failed: Feature switches have not been registered yet so switch values may not be correct" -  this is happening across all reports / many different types of visuals. The visuals open correctly in Power BI Desktop but throw these errors in power bi embedded (reports embedded in website). 

Can you please address this urgently - affecting all reports which were working earlier.

thanks,

Comments
ianzola
Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue since yesterday after I updated with the March release.

gds
Regular Visitor

Update power bi embedded related dependencies. It will work.

rahulsa
Regular Visitor

Did that - updated these 3 via nuget package manager, still the same issue:

Microsoft.PowerBI.Core (to 1.1.10.17058)
Microsoft.PowerBI.Api (to 1.1.10.17058)
Microsoft.PowerBI.AspNet.Mvc (to 1.1.10.17058)

is there any other which needs to be updated?

gds
Regular Visitor

Following packages were updated.

Microsoft.PowerBI.Api (1.1.10)

Microsoft.PowerBI.AspNet.Mvc (1.1.10)

Microsoft.PowerBI.JavaScript(2.3.0)

Microsoft.PowerBI.JavaScript(2.3.0)

Microsoft.PowerBI.Core (1.1.10)

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@rahulsa @ianzola

Please try to remove the following line from the application code at Scripts/powerbi.js. this.config.embedUrl += '&unmin=1';

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

rahulsa
Regular Visitor

{

Please try to remove the following line from the application code at Scripts/powerbi.js. this.config.embedUrl += '&unmin=1'; 

}

@v-haibl-msft this seems to have solved the problem.

---------------------------------------------------

Updating the libraries did not solve the problem.

While this has solved the problem, surely there should be better way to handle this. We can't be expected to make such changes in production scenarios (if there's is anything MS considers 'production worthy' as far as Power BI Embedded is concerned! I love Power BI Desktop; Power BI Embedded is an altogether different story though - it has had second hand treatment all through. This is the second time it has happened with us where we're stuck with something that changed on Microsoft's side and *only* affects Power BI Embedded scenarios. Since it doesnt affect the larger Power BI Desktop use cases, we're left with solutions like these / or No solutions at all.

Here's another instance http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Gettig-Debug-error-in-Embedded-PBI/idi-p/95323  to which we don't have a solution at all till date. Same cryptic Debug Error Alerts!!

Please advise the community if we should continue investing in Power BI Embedded for really creating customer-facing applications; and not be left wondering when will be the next time such random error starts popping up and we're left wondering what happend - 'cause this kind of error and it's solution is something we can't afford to have if we're really thinking about real-customer applications using Power BI Embedded. I am seriously considering alternatives.)

msalam
Frequent Visitor

I don't see any value in those work arounds to avoid bugs generated by Microsoft releases on their own products. They did a release in March and that generated those bugs and they should have instantly revert or solve the problem rather than carelessly put us (MS Community) in those scenarios.

I will honestly start researching other BI embedded tools that can be utiliezed as i'm not enjoying this whole Power BI experience.

schuess

I too am seeing this error. I am attempting to use the Internet Explorer online editor to connect to a sharepoint online list and i immediatly get that error. I cannot use the product. I do not have any previous use of the tool. this is a brand new experimentation with the product.

powerbierror.png

mparkkon
Regular Visitor

This "Debug Assert failed: Warning: Feature switches" -message started also showin up in March with our production PowerBI environment for our customers. This behaviour of unexpected changes resulting error in customer -reports makes us look bad for our customers. 

Why is the problem not yet resolved in Micosoft side?