Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Enable Direct Connection using encrypted connections to a Hana Database

Hi PowerBI folks,

It seems as if PowerBI does not support “Direct Connection” to a Hana database when an encrypted connection is used from the PBI desktop (and I would expect from the gateway also).

We can connect fine using the "Import mode" but get a message telling us to "Either turn off encryption in the database or switch to Import mode" when we try to connect via Direct Connection.

I have tried Direct Connection using an unencrypted connection to Hana before we turned on encryption - and it worked fine.

Unfortunately all of our connections must be encrypted per our digital security requirements. This means that we cannot use PowerBI Direct Connection modes to a Hana database.

In order to give our users the best user experience and realize the full benefits of using PowerBI, we require Direct Connection capabilities.

Could you please prioritize getting this capability with your product teams – it is very important to us …

Thanks for your consideration and support!

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

For your requirement, please post a idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this really delivered ?  I'm having the same issue.  Will not be using PowerBI for enterprise use if we cannot use directquery,  Hana with no direct query i'm not utilizing the benefits of Hana.  

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it was fixed in the past but I have not tried it with the more recent releases of PowerBI. I'll try to re-verify it with the latest release and follow up. We would also want the data bridge to support encrypted connections from PowerBI server to our DB which I believe is supposed be supported soon ... Microsoft team any thoughts on when this will be supported (I thought June-July??? was the roadmap)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like I'm running "Version: 2.59.5135.601 64-bit (June, 2018)".

We've got a data gateway setup but this error occurs when I'm attempting to setup the the connection from Hana to Power BI Service where I will ultimately assign to the Gateway.  It occurs whether I enter an SQL script (plan to use this always) or I browse the "Content".

I've not heard back yet if we would "turn off encryption" in this instance but I'm assuming thats a no.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay I figured out where to edit the conneciton.  I had to do this by initially setting something up to use import.  then i went back and edited the permissions (File > options & settings > data source settings > right click and edit the connection i will be using.  Theres specifically a box "encrypt connections".  I unchecked this.  And ..... success. 

I hope this helps anyone else who comes across it - good luck !