Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Datasource Editor does not edit multiple sources in same query

Hi,

First, I hope the subject makes sense as a summary of this issue!  I had some difficulty trying to summarize into a few words.

The issue:  If you have two source paths in the same query to two separate paths or two separate files in the same path you can not edit the second path through the UI, but only through the Advanced Editor in Edit Queries.

Here is a sample query:

let
    SourceFile1 = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Scenario\Heights\Heights.xlsx"), null, true),
    Heights_Table = SourceFile1 {[Item="Heights",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    SetInitTypeHeight = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Heights_Table,{{"Direction", type text}, {"Name", type text}}),

SourceFile2 = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Scenario\Sides\Sides.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sides_Table = SourceFile2{[Item="Sides",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    SetInitTypeSides = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Sides_Table,{{"Direction", type text}, {"Name", type text}}),

SourceHeights = SetInitTypeHeight,
    SourceSides = SetInitTypeSides,

FinalDataSet = Table.Combine({SourceHeights, SourceSides})
in
    FinalDataSet

The starting point in Advanced Editor.The starting point in Advanced Editor.Datasource Editor showing both Source pathsDatasource Editor showing both Source pathsLet's select the Sides path and click Change Source.  Oops, that doesn't look right.Let's select the Sides path and click Change Source. Oops, that doesn't look right.Oh well, let's go ahead and modify that path anyway.Oh well, let's go ahead and modify that path anyway.Hmmm, that didn't do what I expected it to.  Now my query errors, and I don't know what to do because.....Hmmm, that didn't do what I expected it to. Now my query errors, and I don't know what to do because.....Now, I've got both the old Sides path and the new one...but which one do I change to fix the refresh error?Now, I've got both the old Sides path and the new one...but which one do I change to fix the refresh error?

This example is not quite as confusing as what happened to my end user.  In the real life case there were two different paths showing, but when he edited the second one they compressed into one data source.  We are getting the same data from the same path twice in the real query, but doing separate manipulations on the results and then merging them back together into one overall set of data.  As you might expect this what quite confusing for my end user and he didn't know what to do to fix it.

We can work-around this issue, but I wanted to report it so someone can take a look and decide if it should be handled differently by the Data Source editor.

It may be unorthodox to have two or more datasources in one query, but it works great!!!

Thanks for looking into this issue...

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@sbaird

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 34984930
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@sbaird

I've got response from the Product Team.

Change Source only supports changing data sources in the first step of a query (the source step). More advanced scenarios like changing the data source in a later step or changing the data source in a non-editable step are currently not supported.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered