Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NehaSingh
Regular Visitor

Data does not get refreshed with Direct Query.

I have used Direct query for some reports. But data of that report does not get refreshed with the database.
To refresh that data I need to open the report locally, refresh and republish.
Why it is so ? It should get refreshed automatically.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NehaSingh
Regular Visitor

Yes, I finally got the solution.

I unpinned the report from dashboard, deleted the report, republished it.

This worked for me.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
daver1117
Frequent Visitor

I am also having problems with Direct query. I have a SQL server on prem database and an On prem Gateway configured. I was able to create the report needed using Direct Query in Power Bi Desktop. I deployed the report to my online powerbi, pinned it to a dashboard and modified the Scheduled cache refresh settings on my dataset to every 15 minutes. The Refresh history shows that the data refresh is happening every 15 minutes with no errors, yet my report will not change results, even though the underlying database views are changing. I can get the results to update if I refresh my browser, or manually click the refresh database tile option in the service. I want to see that this dashboard will refresh on its own, so I can look to publish to wallboards around our office.

NehaSingh
Regular Visitor

Yes, I finally got the solution.

I unpinned the report from dashboard, deleted the report, republished it.

This worked for me.

@NehaSingh

You can accept the right answer as solution so that other users who have the same problem can find the right answer quickly.

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@NehaSingh

Have you tried to delete the report in Power BI Service and re-publish it?

Best Regards,
Herbert

NehaSingh
Regular Visitor

I have used Azure SQL Database and provided credentials as mentioned in above suggested link but data is still not getting refreshed.

Last published time is getting displayed as last refresh time.

Please refer the screenshots for the same.1.PNG2.PNG

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@NehaSingh

What is your data source here? Please note that if the data source used does not need the On-Premises Data Gateway (Azure SQL DatabaseAzure SQL Data Warehouse, or Redshift), credentials must be provided before the published report will be displayed in the Power BI Service.

For data sources other than Azure SQL DatabaseAzure SQL Data Warehouse and Redshiftthat use DirectQuery, an On-Premises Data Gateway must be installed and the data source must be registered to establish a data connection. You can learn more about On-Premises Data Gateway.

Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-directquery/#publish-to-the-po...

Best Regards,
Herbert

NehaSingh
Regular Visitor

I have used Direct query for some reports. But data of that report does not get refreshed with the database.

To refresh that data I need to open the report locally, refresh and republish.

Why it is so ? It should get refreshed automatically.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors