Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot update Shared Datasets for Mobile Reports in Power BI Report Server

We are experiencing issues updating Mobile Report shared datasets in Power BI Report Server. This problem occurs in both the November 2017 release and in the release that was just posted yesterday (12/11/2017). Steps to reproduce the issue:

1) Click Manage on a published Mobile Report

2) Click Shared Datasets

3) Click the button beside a shared dataset so you can browse to the proper folder and select the shared dataset you want to use

4) Click the Save button

Everytime we try this we receive a message saying 'Something went wrong. Please try again later.' This was not an issue with the June 2017 release which we still have installed on our test and production servers.

There is also an issue with menu items displaying in Report Manager when you are using a custom theme. Some menu items do not display unless you hover over them with the mouse pointer. See image below. It is only showing Shared datasets, but it should also be displaying Properties and Security. Those items do display if you hover the mouse over them.

Mobile Report dataset issue in PBIRS.JPG

Menu item issue.JPG

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @dmarkel,

Regarding the first issue, we can't assign the shared dataset for the mobile report,this has been reported internally(MSSOLVE 117112017185253) before and I don't get the update now, will post here let you know once I get new information. 

About the second issue, does the same custom theme work before you update the report server? Would you please share the package of custom theme with us? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

dmarkel
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thanks for the update! The custom theme does work fine in the June 2017 release of Power BI Report Server. The problem appeared when we updated to the November 2017 release and it still exists in the release that came out on 12/11/2017. I can send you the .zip file for our custom theme we are using. What is the best way to get that file to you? I do not see a way to attach files here.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @dmarkel,

You can upload it to your OneDrive and send the link via private message to me. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

dmarkel
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft I will get it to you as soon as I can. Unfortunately, there appears to be some issues with OneDrive right now. None of the toolbar menu items seem to do anything when you click them. For example, when I select the file and click on Share nothing happens. The same is true for the other buttons (Download, Delete, etc.). I had a colleague try it with their OneDrive account and they had the same issues. It is not working in IE11, Edge, or Chrome. I will try OneDrive again later today or on Monday.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @dmarkel,

Regarding assigning shared dataset: 

Our Product Team confirmed that this is a Regression in Power BI Report Server and requires a Hotfix. We have already filed a Hotfix request and we expect this to be included in the next Power BI Report Server Release.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

dmarkel
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft Thanks for the update!

dmarkel
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I saw there was a new version of the Power BI Report Server installation file released this week. However, it does not seem to include a fix for this issue. Do you know when this hot fix is scheduled to be included in the Power BI Report server installation?

Thanks!

MartinBo
Regular Visitor

Hello @v-qiuyu-msft,

We updated our report server to the latest version (1.2.6690.34729). We can now update the shared datasets of a mobile report via the web interface, but not via the REST API.

I found the documentation of the API here REST API.

Requesting the dataset via /MobileReports(Path='the path')/SharedDataSets works, but setting the dataset with the PUT method  does not and I get a bad request response.

What we need is to programatically select a similar dataset located at a different path. Is there another way?

Could you look into it please?

Best regards,

Martin B