Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot Open Report Based on Power BI Live Connection when on VPN

This problem is driving me insane. I have a report that uses "Power BI Service" for data. However, when I attempt to open the report I encounter the following:

1) A request to login even though I am already logged in using another report:

SignInError.png

2) I put in my email address and Power BI never attempts to authenticate. Rather, I see this error:

First Error.png

Then I see this error:

Second Error.png

Then I see this error:

Third Error.png

I can open Power BI documents that do not have "Power BI service" as a source. I can also open reports that have "Power BI service" as a source if I am onsite at work (aka NOT on VPN).

Once in a blue moon, I will get a window after the "Sign In" screen that asks for a password. When that happens, everything is fine. But that is very rare.

This problem is very limiting for Power BI. Many IT people at my company work remotely and, as such, we're getting feedback that the company should just use Tableau instead because they don't have this connectivity issue.

I can't help but wonder if it's something very, very simple. But I don't know what. All I know is that Power BI is proving to be very frustrating because I cannot edit reports unless I am onsite.

Has anyone ran into this issue and solved it?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @fitcja,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 67791215. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @fitcja,

I tested this morning but not reproduce the issue with VPN connected. Would you please test again in your environment?

If issue persists, please run Fiddler with below option enabled, then repeat steps to reproduce the issue. Share .saz file with us. Thank you. 

Fiddler.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @fitcja,

Would you please test again? If the issue persists, would you please share fiddler trace with us? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu