Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug when adding NAV Pack? Unhelpful error "failed to update data source"

Have signed up, but then cannot get our NAV linked to PowerBI so I  can hand off even a basic demo - following the setup guide closely

When I try to add the NAV data source (with basic auth), this is what I get:

Failed to update data source credentials.
Activity ID:  
Request ID: 834b75ae-0079-5ba1-86df-5a6fb88b981f
Status code: 400
Time: Mon Jan 30 2017 12:22:47 GMT+1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)
Version: 13.0.1700.1082
Cluster URI: https://wabi-australia-southeast-redirect.analysis.windows.net

I am fairly certain my ODATA creds are correct because I can go into chrome, enter the ODATA URL, input the credentials and see the XML data being returned.  The format of the string also seems correct for the example provided in the connection screens.

given my odata info seems solid, is this a system bug?   I have seen posts about other error 400 issues, but they also usually list an extra line of supporting data which I am not seeing.

Also in the setup guide, this error is not mentioned in the troubleshooting section which also makes me think it is not an issue with the URL or credentials, or else I would be getting a different error.

So is this a bug, or should I be looking elsewhere for an issue.

Where to from here?   I think this is my only support channel unless I sign up?  If so, then there is a bit of a catch22 going on there!

The setup guide I am referencing is:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-content-pack-microsoft-dynamics-nav/

Thanks
Andrew

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@RCBPowerBi

Can you get data from NAV in Power BI Desktop or Excel (OData Feed)?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

RCBPowerBi

Thanks for that idea... new to OData feeds, so did not realise you could pull it into Excel like that

From an internal location I have tried to pull this into excel.  There are no problems with the authentication or certificate... it gets past that stage, I select a table and confirm where in the spreadsheet I want the data placed.  This is where I hit an error, and maybe this will extend outside these forums, but if anyone has advice to offer, I am happy to hear it!

This is the error excel puts up when I try to insert the OData fed data.:

We couldn't get data from the Data Model.  Heres the error message we got:

The 'Name' property cannot contain any of the following characters : . , ; ' ` : / \ * ¦ ? " & % $ ! + = [ ] { }

So I looked at the root page of the odata link, and I can see a Name property on the page, but it all seems good.  This is the format of that property on the bottom of the page:

<d:Name>Our Company Name</d:Name>

So it includes spaces, but none of the characters in the error message

Some questions for the floor if there are any takers:

1. Am I looking at the right sort of thing to troubleshoot this?
  2. Is it likely I am looking for a similar thing buried somewhere in the data?
  3. If so, any suggestions on how I can trawl it to find the offending element(s)?.

Cheers and thanks,

Andrew