Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug reading from and manipulating .xls files

Hi

Since the February update I've been having issues with connecting to .xls files. I've "sent a frown", not sure if it's due to my setup, the files I'm importing or a known issue. Files seem to work but, I can't manipulate them.

Thanks

Brian

Error message in Power Query endError message in Power Query end

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@BrianFleming

Can you connect to the same .xls file with previous Power BI Desktop version in the same machine? If possible, could you please provide your .xls file to me to have a test? I cannot repro the same issue as you with Mar 2017 version of Power BI Desktop. Maybe you can try to uninstall the Feb 2017 version completely and install the latest one.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

AndrewDang
Helper IV

Thanks. The workaround seems to work for me. However, it does left some of the report title out. Not sure how to fixt this either. I hope that PBI will have a fix on this soon.

THanks;

Andrew

BrianFleming
Frequent Visitor

Hi Herbert

Can't really send the .xls files as they contain proprietary material. I can email you a trace log/contents of a frown email. I don't have an older version of PBI around, It's be nice if there was a link to previous versions somewhere on the site.

Thanks

Brian

BrianFleming
Frequent Visitor

I've tracked the issue down to joining a table based on an excel file with another and not expanding all columns i.e. only select 5 out of 7 columns

Solution here

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Error-Specified-key-is-not-a-valid-size-for-this-algorithm/m...